Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

I gave them quite a rant about that. Ridiculous! It cost an extra $50 to get the dongle. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I ended up buying Waterfall B3 and I love it very much!! As a boy of 10 I had an uncle who had a Hammond Lxxx with a Leslie. I could just play a little classical organ and every time I came to visit them, I couldn’t get away from that organ. But that sound has been in my ears all my life and is for me the benchmark when judging a Hammond clone. At a certain moment in the UA demo I heard the 658547056 combination, and suddenly I knew: this is the sound of the past. After much doubt about iLok, I bought an iLok USB dongle and Waterfall B3.

I don’t miss the lack of the many parameters that are on other Hammond VSTs because the sound is just very good and authentic. Actually it feels like a kind of liberation, because you often keep fiddling to get a certain sound.

Just for fun I also installed the demo version of the UA Rotary plugin and it shows that the authentic sound of Waterfall B3 mainly comes from the leslie emulation. I have tried the combination VB3II + UA Rotary and then VB3II suddenly sounds surprisingly good and authentic.
So praise for Universal Audio

2 Likes

When I read your post I thought I should check out the Waterfall Rotary. It has breathed new life into the VB3 Mk1. It’s usually a battle to get ‘immediacy’ out of that plugin… need to run additional amp sims etc.
My first impression of Waterfall Rotary was that the VB3 had become an entirely new instrument. I am hearing some midrange stuff on some presets which is not too appealing, but no doubt those were dialed in using their B3 emulation and may need tweaking to sit well with the VB3. Although it seems a little pricey, it’s possible it has allowed me to indulge the good ol VB3 MK1 a little longer.
(and I note that it’s possible to get the complete Waterfall package from Sweetwater for $99, so maybe.)

2 Likes

Always read what’s on the packet…
So I auditioned the Waterfall Rotary and liked it - jumped on the Sweetwater deal and bought the package for $99, ass u me ing that the rotary would be available as an effect, as the 32 bit VB3 used to be.
Uh oh.
After enquiring, reading and quietly fuming, it looks like the Waterfall package does not like outsiders. Want to process through the rotary? Another 99 bucks.
This seem correct?

It is correct. We’ve been spoiled by other developers giving us the rotary alone within the packge. Not so with UAD. :frowning_face:

Ouch - and I’m kinda liking the MK1 VB3 over the Waterfall. Much more.
However, the VB3 through the Waterfall Rotary was really nice. I may actually send this organ back if they will swap it out.

Good luck on that!

1 Like

They agreed.

3 Likes

currently UA has a $50 discount for registered users. So now you might buy both B3 and Rotary for just $99?

1 Like

Well that was a very useful piece of info! Thanks @asaly!
I’ve grabbed the Waterfall Rotary for $49 and, to me, combined with the VB3 Mk1, that is a sound. The whole thing sounds wide open and with depth of field and authenticity. It transforms that old organ and - it’s more versatile than the UAD Waterfall B3. User MIDI assigns, key click. And now, additional pre’s can be inserted between the organ and the Leslie, if required.
Rejuvenated the old gal. Big time.
Try running running a little straight organ parallel with the Leslie. Sparkles. Adjust to taste.

3 Likes

So how is the iLok activation working with the full version? Does it allow PC authorization or only cloud and ILok stick like the demo?

That would be a deal breaker for me - otherwise very tempting…

Unfortunately Cloud or USB-stick only, But even I surrender and bought an iLok USB, because the sound and feel worked like chloroform :wink::

1 Like

It’s pretty horrible. No internet = no plugin as two attempts at using the cloud have demonstrated. Who could risk a live gig based on that kind of policing?
It has to be on the stick. :man_facepalming:

Gaaah - yes, that’s an absolute deal-breaker. So far, I’ve managed to go without an iLok dongle for live - even if that means having to buy multiple licenses of the Nembrini stuff. I may have to revise that policy, though, once the Windows version of Ivory 3 comes along. No way I’m buying two licenses of that one, and it only gives two activations as well…

Gotta hate copy protection and the people who make it a necessity…

3 Likes

Could you give me the link?

1 Like

I’d be interested in both, but I’m not sure if the cost of both is discounted: €108 for both?

Greg Rolie on Waves Within ….
In 1972, or not long after, I was a young whippersnapper who lucked out by befriending some older musicians who encouraged and nurtured my musical ambitions. One of the most jaw dropping musical revelations was listening to Caravanserai in my mentor’s (still lifelong friend) Lotus Elan which had a quadrophonic 8 track system - and that album, mixed in quad, OMG … it was astounding.
Apart from Carlos’ transcendent guitar playing, Greg Rolie’s Hammond, well the drawbar action is just so freaking exciting. I can definitely see @Torsten’s script being a huge helping hand in producing the kind of transitions heard here. Not actually turned on that script yet, but this will be the inspiration.

1 Like

I purchased Waterfall discounted, at €. 58 instead of €. 108 so at a good price!
Honestly buying it at €. 108 I thought it was a bit exaggerated.

Rotary Waterfall on the other hand provides a discount of only €. 25. I was hoping to get it at the same discount, but that was not the case.
Patience, if there is the same discount in the future I might think about it!

Eventually, how to request the USB flash drive?