Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

UAD… Minimoog… Corky the Pimp… question: is it a dating house???

1 Like

It is a plethora of B3 satisfaction!

1 Like

My opinion after gigging yesterday…this plug will cut thru anything on stage. It can be very “in-your-face” if you need it, or can sit in the corner whimpering. The beauty is when using bass tones, the higher octaves are very noticeable.

It can be aggressive, and it can be a church mouse. The Gospel tones are great enough to use in any Memphis church. As with any B3 plugin, the tones you prefer may not be in the presets (which are made to show the extremes), but it always there for one to discover. I have to spend more time with it, and make my own discoveries. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, you are absolutely right here!
Of course, it is necessary to be impartial, to search and search for hidden things, but often it is one’s musical sensitivity that is the master!

1 Like

Then I wanted to say this.
I have a close friend who is an expert in recording. He tells me that when a song is recorded, that recording will be unique and unrepeatable, because in the recording studio there is not only the original instrument to make, but a whole series of adjustments, effects and anything else that your instrument (such as our B3) entered as nude and exited as dressed as King!
This friend told me that the right occasion to “hear” your wonderful B3 is only when you hear it in concert, live!

That’s why I only use live recordings (when available) as a reference. There is so much post recording studio editing involved to shape a tone that we can never fathom. One example(way above on this thread) listening to a “Yes” organ was much different sounding within the song, than the actual individual track.

2 Likes

I also tried Waterfall B3 and I think the sound is very responsive and authentic. But a huge disadvantage is that you apparently always have to be online because otherwise UAD will not start and Waterfall will give status UNAUTORIZED and you will not get any image and sound and you will therefore have to start your host all over again. In addition, Waterfall keeps crashing within in Mainstage after pressing the next preset button a few times

1 Like

I think there is something wrong with your iLok. I’ve been using the dongle for a long time without problems.

I think this is only the demo. It only lets me use iLok Cloud, which needs an internet connection. I was told an iLok usb thumb drive would fix this. I still don’t understand why my iLok virtual dongle is not working with this.

1 Like

That’s strange, I’m not restricted to the cloud iLok. During installation I was asked if I wanted the license stored on the cloud or dongle.

I’ve been using iLok virtually, for a few years, with no problem. B5 is still running well on it, but UA Connect is very stubborn in forcing me to use the iLok Cloud. I also saw where using the 2nd license to virtual iLok would work, then deactivate the 1st license. That also failed.

Probably explains why I find it hard to get certain studio tones, but much easier to get live tones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, is anyone with UAD plugs using iLok-enabled software, locked to the computer, to verify license, without an internet connection?
My Acoustic Samples plugs and others work just fine.
Or, is UAD one of “THOSE” companies that do not care about live use with no internet?

Got UAD Apollo audio interface on my studio PC, where I installed some internal-DSP plugins (compressors, reverb, etc.), all iLok authorized. This PC is most of the time on internet, and I didn’t experience plugin fails even when internet is down due my ISP lacks of reliability.
Then I have the gig PC, the spare gig PC and the “support” gig PC, actually a Mac, all of these using iLok.
Anyway, using the USB-dongle, I never had any problem. All the gig PCs are (to ensure maximum stability, internet free disabling their wifi adapter). For updates a LAN port is available.

So, in my experience, iLok dongle is rock solid. Can’t say the same about the soft/cloud iLok, since I never used it.

EDIT: I’m not iLok endorser. :rofl:

Thanks for the input!

Neither am I… :laughing:

1 Like

I took a dive, bought an iLok dongle, and Waterfall B3. :smirk:

The G.A.S. was unbearable, and I had to relieve the pressure.
I used this in a live gig, and in rehearsals. I am really enjoying it, and started creating presets. I am hearing overtones much better, and there is something very realistic about the Leslie. As I work with it more, I will be able to make a better assessment of this plug.
There isn’t many perimeters as with the other contenders, but the simplicity is refreshing. My band mates hear a difference, and so do I. It cuts through a live band very well.
When I get a chance, I will do a poll on based on sound as I did a few years ago.

Cheers

2 Likes

Glad we weren’t in a crowed car … :grin:

4 Likes

That was my immediate reaction to Waterfall B3. Looking forward to the poll.

2 Likes

Or a broken elevator :confounded:

1 Like

Interesting - but I suspected that you wouldn’t be able to resist :wink:

I’ve played with it for a couple of days now, re-created some of my B-3X presets with the Waterfall and put them through their paces.

Overall, not an unpleasant sound, but to my ears, the top octave is just screaming too loud compared to the others. When I start a solo line somewhere in the middle octaves and work my way up, things get really piercing - and I don’t always have a foot free to pull back the swell pedal to compensate.

Currently, I don’t really see / hear a sound there that I couldn’t get with my current arsenal of Blue3 and B-3x. Plus, I can usually massage those two far better to fit the song than I can do with the Waterfall - with that it’s just “take it or leave it”.

I agree that the leslie is very nice; it doesn’t get as “wobbly” as the B-3X one does at times.

What I don’t like at all is the fact that Universal don’t seem to allow authorizing a PC, only dongles and cloud. Both my live cubes are dongle-free - I may re-consider if / when I find an instrument that I reeeeallly need live that requires it, but not going there for the Waterfall.

So against all my usual reflexes, I’ll abstain here…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes