Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Thank you for the clarification! I was hoping for a reference… Wintel… and as the French say: “sera pour la prochain fois!!”

Just my guess. Maybe their hardware instruments? Who knows?

GSI went into “app” craze, then produced many new modeled instruments for the DMC - 122. The discontinued Key Performer was a great rompler in its day, but I see GSI has revived the Key Performer idea with Genuine Sounds. They also modeled many older FX units. Everything I am hearing sounds really good, and I am expecting a new VB3 soon.
It was THIS THREAD that requested VB3 II with original VB3 engine. Hopefully, we will soon see our efforts come to fruition.
The same happened with Blue3, and an upgrade happened, but it still needs some improvement on a few things.

Regards

Corky

6 Likes

Over in the Cakewalk Deals forum, member cclary posted that the Waterfall Rotary is on sale for $99. It does not require UA hardware (they refer to this as “native”). I decided to install the UA Connect application and do the 14 day demo (required a restart of the computer). I’m not testing Waterfall B3, just Rotary, their Leslie sim. On first impression I like how it sounds and it’s definitely less CPU intensive than AmpliTube Leslie. So far I’ve only tested it with VB3 II wearing headphones. It appears to have a good sounding drive. There is only one model, the 147. It appears that only the speed control is available, I wasn’t able to assign a knob to Leslie drive which is something I use playing live. BTW, I would be interested in expert opinion about Hammond amp drive vs Leslie amp drive. I usually leave the Hammond amp drive on just a bit and use the Leslie drive for the real grind. It does not appear to have the belt tension controls that it has when it’s part of Waterfall B3.

1 Like

Hi Corky, see you winding up a reply - I think we need to evaluate Waterfall B3 and the Rotary for this thread :grinning:

VB3 II and Waterfall Rotary seem to have a synergy - they sound good together

I will have to check it out! Does it have a trial version? Would like to try it.

As for the drive, most Hammondites use a drive device between the organ and the Leslie. I like preamps for that purpose.

Here’s the link I followed: https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/delay-modulation/waterfall-rotary-speaker.html

1 Like

Interesting you mention that. I’ve been using some the B-3X presets and just having the stomp box EQ on gives the sound more grind.

One of the keys to natural sounding “grit” is use of mid eq on the stomp box and on the Leslie eq. I have an amazing natural “grit” sound on a particular pre-amp set on default setting. I’ve been testing many free pre-amps for the last year, trying to add one to my presets for member uses.
There are other plugins, like saturators, and drive stomps, but most do not get the “natural, smooth” sound I was looking for that doesn’t drown out higher octaves. Also working on a more realistic Leslie feel…getting very close! :wink:

G.A.S. is overcoming me!! I am not going to purchase the UAD Rotary for $99.00, because I am going to buy the UAD Waterfall B3 Organ(including Waterfall Rotary) for $99.00 at Sweetwater Sound. This is a great sounding B3! I will give a review after I play with it awhile. Only Drawback, so far, is iLok.

2 Likes

The big question is will the UI open in less time than it takes to play half a song like B3X… :rofl:

1 Like

That IS the big question. I will be finding out soon enough.

1 Like

I don’t know what IK’s deal is with the B3X UI, the T-Racks Leslie opens right up. You’d think they would have fixed it by now…

You are still dealing with some samples in the B3X and B5, unlike Blue3 and VB3, which are 100% modeled. The GUI also drags, but for the most part, if I pre-load the B3X , it loads very quickly. BUT, I do not use the GUI unless I am looking for a sound or midi setup. Don’t know about the Waterfall B3 specs. There is only basic info on site.

it does sound good, and if it gets the Corky seal of approval…

What’s it like for CPU load?

I thought this review from UAD’s website was accurate for Waterfall B3 and Rotary:

H. Petersson
January 4, 2023

A mix ready B3 emulation

This is one of the best Hammond B3 emulations I’ve heard. I have compared it extensively to both the AcousticSamples B5 and IK Multimedias B-3x and it holds up really well.

It’s a very simple plugin with few options compared to the other two I mentioned, but for what it does it works incredibly well. While the B-3x gives you the feeling of sitting in the room with a B3 this gives you a well recorded and balanced organ that is ready to be thrown into the mix with little effort, and there is so much value to that.

In contrast to many other B3 plugins there is no effects section between the organ and the speaker. I find it a bit strange since UA have many excellent effects that they could have just thrown in there. Like the TS9 for example. Instead, they chose to make it possible to drive the amp a bit further than what is normal. This works and it allows for more simplicity, but more tonal options would have been nice, since they don’t provide you with a separate Leslie plugin. The only option if you want put effects in between is to buy a third-party Leslie emulation.

The Leslie emulation is really good, however. It is not as wide and larger than life as the one from IK, but it sounds like you would expect to sound a well miced Leslie to sound like on a record, which is what most people are looking for, I think. A stereo option for the drum would have been nice though.

It is very shy in the bass register, but it’s possible to bring up the bass with a shelf EQ without it getting muddy so it’s not a big deal. The amount of bass is by the default what you would set it in a band mix.

It would also have been nice if you could turn the click volume up a bit as they can be a bit too subtle in some cases.

But all in all, this is an excellent plugin. It is more tailored towards 70’s rock/soul rather than jazz. It has a lot of energy to it, and it will fit well into a mix.

1 Like

I already use iLok so that part was a breeze. I had to restart after installing UA Connect. Before I restarted my only choice was to “Authorize” Waterfall Rotary. Once I restarted the button switched to “Download” and I was able to proceed from there.

1 Like

My intuition tells me it will be good in a band mix - I guess I need to run the 14 day demo of the complete Waterfall product.

EDIT - just loaded up Waterfall. There is something about it. The default sounds just like Gregg Allman’s goto B3 setting (Jimmy Smith first 3 bars out).

I just got invited to a private blues jam tonight so will report back how it does in that setting.

1 Like

Haven’t tried it out yet…weekend gigs are in the way. Will let you know.