Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

@jtillinghast

Hi Jeff

Sorry it has taken so long. Covid delayed my progress for a couple of weeks. But, I am finally catching up with things.
I updated T-Racks to v5.8. What I did, was uninstall the version I had, rebooted, and installed 5.8. I then opened Cantabile, did a quick scan, checked on my IK Leslie presets, and all was fine. So, you should be able to use the presets in 5.8 using this method.
That said, if it still doesn’t work for you, I plan to post a rack soon with all existing IK Leslie presets compatible v5.8.

Cheers

Corky

This is for Jeff and anyone else who would like to try it. I made an experimental TR5.8 Leslie rack for VB3 II presets with IK Leslie. The VB3 II + IK Leslie presets were made exclusively for use of IK Leslie. Upgrading T-Racks didn’t work for me. But the following DID work:
Firstly, save anything using T-Racks into a folder separate of C3. You also may want to set a restore point, but I didn’t. Secondly, uninstall prior version of T-Racks. Thirdly, install T-Racks version 5.8. Then download the rack I made, put it in the “Racks” folder, Start C3, add existing linked rack. Drop new T-Racks Leslie VST 3 into the rack.
VB3 II TR5.8 Leslie 1

You should now have all the presets I made for T-Racks (using VB3 II) as states in the rack.

Run your favorite VB3 II + IK Leslie preset into the new rack, and select the corresponding preset. New presets will be in an updated rack.

If this works for everyone, I will use racks for all my presets, and all you will have to do is update the rack.
I believe this will be easier for all of us. I also think it will be easier for all future plugin updates.

I welcome any problems or suggestions.

T-Racks Leslie for VB3 II Presets.cantabileRack (40.6 KB)

Cheers

Corky

2 Likes

I’ve started using TR5.8 Leslie with VB3-II, and although I love the sound, I’m finding it significantly increases my CPU Time load - often causing me to exceed 100%. It seems to use about the same CPU Time load as VB3-II (30-45%). Has anyone else noticed this high a CPU Time load for TR5.8. I’ve seen others reference the load from TR5-Leslie and it was always less than VB3_II - not more.

I play left hand bass (ModoBass) and usually have pianoteq or Lounge Lizard and a synth running at at the same time. I’m using 256 samples in my Komplete Audio 6 soundcard. I’m running Windows 10 on a Dell LATITUDE E5550
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2594 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
I’ve followed Brad’s Glitch Free guide.

One possible difference with the way Corky is configured. I put both the VB3 and TR5 plugin in the same rack. I didn’t create a separate rack for TR5 Leslie. Can you think of any reason that might make a difference?

At this point I plan to remove TR5.8 Leslie from my rack and go back to the VB3 internal Leslie.

Short of getting a more powerful machine - any suggestions to improve performance?

Cheers - David

Hi David

Sorry you are having a problem. I always used TR5 Leslie in it’s own rack, that way I could setup presets in states, and change it on the fly.
I’ve never had VB3 II loads like that. Same with TR5. I am running buffers at 512, which really doesn’t have latency for me. Try moving your buffers up. Also, are you running sample rate at 48,000? It is recommended to use 44,100, especially in live use. Run the profiler under the “view” tab, then load the 2 and see what you get. Take a screen shot if you can and post it. You can also run Task Manager, then load C3 with the plugs, and see what it reports on load. Many times there will be notifications trying to update windows, defender, and other programs in the background, and will run forever trying to download stuff. I had that problem, and until I shut down the processes and notifications I was running 100% most of the time. All the things I mentioned will reduce your CPU load. Let us know what you find. You shouldn’t be having that kind of load.

2 Likes

Hi David,

I’m not sure it will help but on my IK B-3X I use an Engine Restart to tame the resources when they load up high like that. It also shows high load readings that fall back to expected levels upon a restart like this. You can do it manually to see if it helps and if so put it in a startup engine restart binding for the session. For me this helps a bunch. I think @brad is aware of this and is looking at the load balance aspect of the C3 program to see if there is an explanation for it. I will see if TR Leslie is doing it here since I have it and will let you know.

Dave

2 Likes

I’m testing with TR 5.8 Leslie and not having troubles with the VB3-II + IK Leslie. Note they are in separate racks. No high resource readings here.

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice Corky! Yes I’m using 44.1. I’ve also been watching the profiler results.
I previously had my buffer at 512, but decided to try and reduce my latency, which is why the same songs/racks are now exceeding 100%. I was more curious about the relative time loads of TR5 though. I will put the buffers back to 512 and see if the load of TR5 decreases. I will also run thru the Glitch Free recommendations again to see if a Windows update has changed some recommended settings.
Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks Dave! Yes, I’ve been using the Engine on/off button regularly since you first mentioned it (thank you). I notice that it always reduces the time load if I’ve already changed songs a couple of times. Good idea about adding a binding for this - faster than reaching over to my track pad.
As I mentioned to Corky, above, I will first set my buffer back to 512 and check the time load again. If the relative results are similar (i.e. TR5 higher than VB3-II) then I will try putting TR5 in a separate rack and test again.
I originally choose the VB3/TR5 combination over B-3X or B5, as a good compromise between sound and performance. It’s only since I changed my buffer to 256, that I noticed the high TR5 time load.
Cheers - David

1 Like

Nice tip - I’ve been using 48,000 just out of habit

1 Like

Thought I would share some studio tracks I played on.

Here are two tracks I was recently hired play on. The singer/guitarist is in one of my bands, and he is a Memphis staple musician who has played with many notables. Felt very good playing a real B3 in the studio again after covid, but I had to “mod” it, to my style. :wink: He also asked me to play harmonica on the 2nd track, which has a more dominant Hammond sound near the end.
This is REAL Memphis music!

10 Likes

Love it Corky!! Nice work all around! Great B3 playing and harmonica too!
Cheers!

1 Like

Nice playing - must have been fun.

1 Like

OK, I expected the B3 to be good and it is, but the harmonica, that is killer.

1 Like

Thank you guys. It was fun. I loved setting up the Hammond MY way. :rofl:

LOL, forget the Hammond, I want to hear that harmonica thru a green bullet!

1 Like

I’ve never played through one, but always wanted to. Hmmm, I think I can find a way to do that though. All the amp sims I have should something to use. The mic modeling plugs don’t have a green bullet yet, but maybe something close. :grin:

Check EBay, they have GBs cheaper than B3-X on sale!

1 Like

I use the Superlux D112C for my harmonicas, running it through Cantabile. A third of the price from the original, sturdy build and works well. Even have a small ‘stop’ midway on the volume, which I use as ‘base setting’ in a sound check to adjust from, meaning I can turn volume off for the songs without harmonica and easily get back. Agree that the sound in the original is better, but playing live in a band with two guitar players kind of defies the need for subtleties in the sound quality :-).

2 Likes

LOL!

Simple equation: great instrument & great musician = gerat music :grinning:
Thanks alot for sharing @Corky

Regards, Volker

1 Like