Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Hey Steve

I certainly didn’t take your comments in the way you described. In fact, I was not responding to your comments. I was simply stating what I went through in the beginning. I thought it reasonable to give new users a leg up with a link to videos and manuals. I’ve tried to help many new users, sometimes failing, but I tried. I’ve even set up Zoom sessions to help others when typed words weren’t enough. The point is, to which you also agreed, it takes a while to learn the mechanics of C3. But, there are those who want to speed through C3 without taking the time to really learn it. The world, as it is, pushes everyone to expect results yesterday. So when someone wants instant results by posting every few minutes, and expecting others to fix it now, it does wear thin quickly, especially when the replies of members “read the manual…watch the videos” are disregarded.

No one knows it (until now), but you and I are good friends and occasionally email each other about other things than C3. We have shared many failures and successes. I treasure our friendship and would do, or say, nothing to jeopardize it.

Cheers :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Corky

2 Likes

Corky,
We are in complete agreement. It was simply a case of me not understanding what had gone on before. With this topic having so many posts, scrolling to the top…I just don’t have that kind of time, lol.

It’s all good…and several more :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:‘s…right back at ya’

2 Likes

TBH, I generally enjoy helping others with Cantabile - this is a group of great, helpful and polite people, with an uncommonly high level of community spirit. I consider a lot of this core group my friends and I thoroughly enjoy my time in this community.

What is sometimes frustrating are two types of users coming in to the forum:

• Type A: the newbies who just come here and say “I have no clue, so can someone please tell me how I use this plugin and this controller in Cantabile so I can play music”. Often, this is coupled with an attitude of entitlement - as if they had a right to others’ time and energy.

• Type B: the relatively new users who immediately jump into the most complex and tricky aspects of Cantabile and then fire off tons of posts asking for help, but demonstrate in their replies they aren’t really solid around the necessary basics, so it is really difficult to help them without having to go back to Adam & Eve…

Using Cantabile is like learning an instrument - it is difficult (and relatively low value-add) to discuss sweep picking when someone is barely capable of strumming C, G and D chords.

So it would definitely be useful to have some sort of “Newbie intro page” on the Cantabile website (or here at the forum) - with the essential steps any new user of Cantabile should work their way through to get to a certain basic level of proficiency. Learning a new instrument also involves a lot of experimenting and repetition, so that things really sink in, so progressing too quickly and skipping steps will come back and haunt you - I promise…

Of course, asking questions during that journey is also OK, when something isn’t clear, but essentially I would like to be able to expect a certain level of sweat and proficiency from someone who asks the community for help - some kind of “earn your seat at the table” :wink:

Just coming in and asking others to do your work for is a bit lame IMHO…

If I find some time over the next weeks, I might start out on this “Newbie Guide” doc - maybe we can collaborate on this within the “guru core group”? Say a Google doc that a group of us can edit jointly?

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

I would applaud such a document. But, it may not be feasible with the current forum setup. Instead of going outside the forum with Google Doc, or other share site, why not use the rarely used “Lounge” area of the forum? It is restricted to level 3 status.
Also, I would want @brad’s blessing on such a move.

I know I’ve drifted off subject on my own thread, so if there are no objections, I will attempt to move this to the lounge.

1 Like

I assume the only objections will be from those of us non-gurus who wanted to follow the enlightening discussion, and perhaps contribute to the document if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. Your voice would be a great addition to the discussion. I thought you would already be a level 3. :frowning_face:
I already posted in the Lounge, but I will see if there is a better way we can include others. We may have to go off site, but thinking about the PM option of adding many users. I am certainly not a guru!
Will get back to you.

1 Like

Hi Corky and Torsten. I think I understand that I am too many.
There is no need for you to create a new group. Leave it as it is.
At this point I leave, I will not intervene anymore, I will limit myself to observing and learning.
I wrote to Brad to apologize to you.
I do it even now, both of you and others I may have bothered with.
I greet you dearly, I hope the best things for you all.
Sergio
:+1:

Sergio

This not a slam to you. This is an organizing of documents and videos to help newer users learn the mechanics of Cantabile faster. This has been discussed several times in the past, but never really acted on. By all means, stay around and learn, and eventually teach me some things. There is absolutely no intention to run you away. The more the merrier. :smile:

3 Likes

Hi everybody.
I need help.
I was looking for some videos or some explanations on racks, but I’m a bit in trouble.
I couldn’t find what I’m looking for.
After @Torsten helped me with creating a rack with a VST organ, I wanted to make one that contains multiple organs, one with Pianos.
Could you tell me if there is any video or some targeted explanation for what I’m looking for?
Sergio

All these available on Cantabile Website

Page 19 of this guide:

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/guides/racks

3 Likes

Thanks for the Tips, Corky
Sergio

1 Like

Possible T-RackS Leslie VST3 bug.
I finally got around to playing with the IKM T-Racks Leslie last night. I was struggling to get the Slow/Fast to work with my pedal CC. I checked the Midi Monitor in C3 and I could see the CC at the midi input of the plugin, but it wouldn’t change speeds. After some ‘googling’ I saw a reference about the VST versions being different. I switched the plugin from VST3 to VST2 and then the CC switch began to work. I’m just mentioning it here in case anyone else encounters a similar issue. Or if someone might be able to confirm the bug.
Cheers - David

Hi David,

I will test it this evening and get back to you here.

Regards
Corky

@Sergio, please - before posting a question on such basics, always check:

You’ll get 95% of the answers from there - without straining others’ patience… Cantabile is a complex piece of software, but there are tons of resources available - some assembly required.

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

David

I believe you are right about a bug. VST2 works great. From all the things I’ve seen, and tried, VST3 “IS” a problem. Several people, have complained, and I also jumped on that train. My T-Racks haven’t been updated recently, so you might want to update with the product manager and see if they corrected it. I will do the same when I get a chance.

Cheers

Corky

Hi Torsten.
I agree with you 100% !!
I had tried by myself looking for videos or explanations without finding the right rack combination.
The biggest obstacle to these difficulties of mine is the linguistic approach, English is not my forte.
I also emailed Brad, who gave me other valuable tips and tricks.
So, Torsten, thank you for your always kind help.
Sergio :+1:

Hey Corky, thanks for the confirmation! I just installed the Leslie and have been running the product manager regularly, so I’m pretty sure I have the latest version. Funny that during my Google search I didn’t see this issue reported anywhere. I guess I should submit a bug report to IKM. It makes me wonder how many people are using the VST3 version in T-RackS. I also purchased the Amplitube version (Group Buy), but I haven’t tested it yet.
Thanks - David

1 Like

The replies I saw were from several DAW forums. One person said it would work only when using a mouse click on speed switch. I will spend more time on it when I get through with weekend gigs, just in case I missed something.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Onscreen Keyboard not working after changing language