Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Love his tone in this vibes/drums/hammond trio:
As it gets to the middle I realize Corky’s video is an excerpt of this one. I love the vibes solo, the comping on hammond during it is amazing.

2 Likes

Is that a Digital or Analog thong hanging on the right side of the Hammond (just below the lift handles)? :hushed:

1 Like

aaaah, good old Unterfahrt in Munich :sunglasses:

I believe it to be Analog. No doubt a groupie donation from the edge of the stage. Either that, or Matthias does a costume change between songs…ala Cher!

Thongs must be analog… :wink:

1 Like

Just heard Dr Lonnie passed.

RIP Dr Lonnie Smith, legendary B3 master.

1 Like

Oh no…did not know this. Very sad!

1 Like

Ohhhhhh dude. That is sad. :cry:

1 Like

The past year I’ve been listening over and over Lonnie Smith’s album “Jungle Soul”. Really interesting contrasts of tones and the band really swings. RIP Lonnie!

1 Like

Just letting everyone know…I just played a Crumar Mojo on stage this evening. Gotta tell you, it was impressive, compared to the Nord Stage that is usually in this venue. I did NOT like the Mojo distortion, and apparently the owner didn’t either, because there was a small digital distortion box sitting on top he was using.
The Leslie had an unusual quick ramp up, like immediate fast speed. Same with ramp down. It sounded good, but I’ve never heard a real Leslie do that. I am sure there were settings for it, but I didn’t have the time to adjust it, and probably didn’t need to.
The keybed was excellent, and it was nice to sit in front of two identical registers again. There was no foot switch, or half-moon for the Leslie, only a button above the upper register, which was quite awkward. The C3 setting really had no effect to speak of.
It was a nice sounding unit, but I rather prefer my Cantabile Hammond setup…Soooo much better! :grin:

4 Likes

I am starting hopefully to get back into live playing, and setting up a new rig for a classic/prog rock covers and originals band (something I did way back in 2006 that people ask when I am doing again). And I finally am getting the IK B3-X setup. I really like this one.

2 Likes

I am getting some new sounds in B-3X that is working well with one of my recent bands. I struggle back and forth with B-3X and B5. I’ve been going even deeper with tone wheel sets and some experimental stuff. Some of my recently made presets are far beyond what I did in the past. I tried to make things simple in those past presets, but the new ones are radical in comparison. I am also experimenting with how these presets stand up in a live situation. I have taken several presets out to live gigs and take notes on what I am, or am not getting in each preset. It has really helped in shaping them.

Glad you finally tuned into B-3X!

Regards

Corky

1 Like

Hi Corky, I finally managed to use your presets again by upgrading Cantabile performer 3 new build ! Fantastic B5 v. 3 version !

By the way, I have to do some Midi tweaking now in order to trigger properly my Hammond xk3c (basically swell pedal and drawbars assignments) but it seems that I don t manage to save it in your rack although I unlocked it… Is there a way to modify your rack, please ?

Thanks by advance, my Lord :wink:

Hi guys, let me post you this video to listen to Acoustic Samples B5 v. 3 and its good Leslie sim in contexte. I am not a good organ player in comparison to both of you, dear People, but I like sharing musical experiences feedbacks through this forum :notes:

2 Likes

Hi Pierrick

There are several ways to do this. A couple of years ago, I put all my bindings for particular keyboards within the rack. I may eventually set this up within the background rack, but for now, I keep all the bindings within the rack. I also created a rack that had nothing but bindings for each particular keyboard…ala @terrybritton. That way, I can drop the “keyboard rack” into any rack, and have it available to use the bindings. Here is Terry’s excellent video on abstracting midi controllers:

I still have a few problems with some of my bindings, so it is still a work in progress. But, for now, I suggest you use the menu (in the upper right corner of the plugin gui ) and “create parameter binding”. That way, you can save the parameter to the rack, just as the we do within the Cantabile presets. Of course, unlock, change…save rack and lock. See how that works for you. To obtain the CC’s of your XK3C, right click Main Keyboard (or what you call it) at the song level, and use the midi monitor.

Cheers

Corky

1 Like

Thanks Corky, it is exactly the way I was planning to explore👌.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I would like to buy a midi keyboard to be placed side by side with my Korg Pa 80. I would like some advice from you, including M-Audio 61 Key, Axiom 61 Key or even other keyboards, not to spend much.
Which could work best with Cantabile?
Sergio

Hi Sergio,

I ve Just bought a M Audio Axiom 61 to put under my single hammond xk3c. It works great to pilot Cantabile ! Mainly I use buttons to trigger State changes, faders for plugin volumes, play-stop buttons to send metronome to my drummer, pads to trigger synced samples…

The keybed is not too bad : good enough to switch between piano / lower manual parts :ok_hand:

I bought it 100 € to a Guy in France.

M-Audio Oxigen 61?
Not Axiom 61

Sorry, I had read wrong!
I have seen the features of M-Audio Axiom 61 and it seems ok to me.
I should find it cheaply. I am starting to use states and this keyboard can be very useful.
My Pa 80 doesn’t have a lot of button options for status changes.
Thanks Pierrick for the advice.
Sergio