Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Moved this OT discussion to this thread.

AcousticSamples B5? - #278 by Corky
Gigging has dominated my time lately, so I am not as quick to respond. If you would like to send me the settings, I will try them out. The UVI Rotary was good for the one Hammond setting I had, but I find it good with guitar or Electric Pianos (even Grand Pianos). The other dominant Leslie clones didn’t perform as well as UVI for the aforementioned instruments.

Yes, the Hanno is quite barberic compared to modern clones. It lacks the overtones, and, (without going thru the long list) most everything else associated with Hammond. :grin:

Corky

1 Like

Corky,
what I have been able to experience from my friend is what he has at his disposal.
In my cantabile I have VB3 1.4, B4 and now B5 V3, for starters (I started recently, I play as a hobby, I had my band years ago but we stopped).
As soon as possible I will send you the settings with Uvi Rotary.
Hanon70 is very simple and does not have good shades, but I needed it to evaluate Uvi and the result seems pleasant to me, that’s all.
Uvi can be useful to me with B5, I’m curious to try it.
During the week I try to buy it, then I’ll let you know how it works.
Sergio

Just out of curiosity, do you not like the Leslie within B5? Version 3 has a lot of improvements. After an earlier discussion with the developer, it was my understanding that the Leslie in B5 was developed by UVI, and was based on Rotary. There are B5 users here that use the IK Leslie, but I am of the opinion that the improvements in version 3 were better than an external Leslie. We all have our different tastes, so I am always open to new ideas.
I will do some tests today, and post some audio results here.

Cheers

Corky

1 Like

Hey everyone! Can you guys help with a blind Leslie test? Just vote on A,B, or C, and leave your comments about what you did, or didn’t like about each.
This is just a quick test with B5, all drawbars out, and all Leslies were at default 122 Cab. As expected, everyone will have their varying tastes and preferences. Leslie speeds are not a factor, just testing the overall sound and realism. Thanks for the help! I will tally the vote, and reveal the results in a day or so.

Corky

Corky

My choice is Leslie A.

Best

Dave

1 Like

Well I wanted to say …
I seemed to have noticed some connection of Uvi Rotary with B5 …
Quickly I’ll explain what I want to hear from a VST organ. I like an enveloping sound, because I often play in my church.
Sometimes I like to play with my eyes closed and I go in search of this !! A little while ago I played with the B5 and as you said I used the Leslie of the B5: exceptional !!!
I loaded your Rack and it’s deadly !! I have to thank you for your valuable suggestions and encouragement.
I’m still new to these things and I also thank Brad for his information.
Tomorrow I will try the sounds you have prepared and I will have my say.
thanks Corky, see you soon.

2 Likes

Only listening on an iPAD outside a noisy “character pub” and on a busy high street. I am torn between A and B, but would probably say A if pushed……

1 Like

A: 50%, B: 30%, C: 20% preference.

1 Like

Definitely A for me. B has a somewhat flangey, metallic character, and C is a bit “flat” to my ears.

Is it my system, or are there some nasty distorting artifacts in these clips?

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

I didn’t hear any distortion. If it was in all 3 samples, it is either something in B5, or maybe your system. I will check it out though.

Definitely A for me. It seems fuller and has more middle to me.

1 Like

Glad you liked the rack. Thanks for the kind words.

Sample A - Same sound that I had next to my ear on a 12x12 stage for 6 months in Georgetown in 1970! Love it!

1 Like

I liked all 3 about equally. I see why A was the favorite. It had more ambience and sounded fullest. C was just dry as though you had switched from room to dry. Were you just moving the mikes around?

I first listened on my studio monitors, then with headphones. I know why Torsten is mentioning hearing something. I’ve been playing the B5 v3 almost exclusively the past two weeks using in ears. The B5 and the its Leslie include the actual mechanical noises of the originals. I think that’s what Torsten is hearing.

The Leslie in B5 is pretty complex - there are a lot of choices regarding cabinet, mic position and speeds and they’re separate for the horn and rotor.

1 Like

Could be…I don’t have my studio cans on, just using earbuds. I will go back and listen again.

Will post the results in a few hours…just allowing a little time for anyone else wanting to participate. Many thanks for you guys lending your time and ears.

From my tally, “A” was the ultimate choice, with “B” the penultimate choice, and “C” the least favorite.
This is why a blind test works well. There is no prejudice, nor brand favoritism.

I used mostly default settings on all three Leslies. The B5 organ was full out drawbars, with added C3 vibrato/chorus. This test may surprise some, but it didn’t really shock me. Below is why.

The “A” Leslie was the B5 resident Leslie. I have written many times about version 3 B5. I noticed the huge difference when I first used it. Version 2 wasn’t bad, except for the distortion…not good. Acoustic Samples prides itself with realism. It is my favorite live gigging organ. I do use the others as well. They are like my children, and I know what to expect from them, concerning the need of the song.

“B” was the 2nd choice. It was the UVI Rotary which @Sergio and I were discussing. If y’all remember, it was the winner of the blind test we did a few years ago…very surprising at the time. The problem I find with Rotary is it’s highs were too much, but very little mid and low. I tried in vain to balance the horn and drum. An E.Q. would help, but that wasn’t available. It has a selection of cabs, such as 122, 145, 722, 760 and so on, but I honestly heard very little, if any difference. With some time, I might be able to tame it, but I was going with default settings. It works best with Guitar, and E-Pianos.

Lastly…(drum roll) was IK Multimedia Leslie. When not using default settings, I can dial in a great sound in IK. @Torsten said everything I felt above… it sounds “flat”. I love the IK Hammond, but for me, in a live situation, it can’t touch the B5v3 feel. I find myself playing much better using B5. I moved the IK Hammond into most of my songs over a year ago, but I go to B5 on new songs. Again, it’s all about feel, and “flat” seems to describe it best. A great plug though!

I use Blue3 (much better in the newest version…thank you Ray!), VB3 1.4, but stopped using VB3 II. Hopefully the new, upcoming VB3 will be as good as the app version. Kinda like coming full circle.

Again, thank you all for participating. Will hopefully post some new presets next week!!

Cheers to all

Corky

3 Likes

@Corky thanks for taking on the challenge. I still go back and forth and change racks out and re-do things. But, one thing I’ve found that Blue3 is really good at is that Gospel organ Great (lower manual) pad underneath the piano. It doesn’t seem to have the bite for those Greg Allman/Rollie punchy-grindy-gritty-compete-with-guitars sound, but that swimmy-swirly pad under the piano is Sunday morning best (at least in my not-always-humble-opinion). It’s so subtle that I’m probably the only one that hears it, but it makes me play piano better (with whatever “Arranger Piano” skills I possess).

Very coincidental that you say that. In one of my recent bands, I am playing some gospel-like piano on a few ancient songs, and add Blue3 as a pad, just slightly under the piano. It works very well, and gives a gospel boost to the songs. Just off the top of my head, one is a Little Feat song, and another is an Amazing Rhythm Aces song, and a few others.

Exactly how I feel about it.

hi Corky
I loaded your rack and as said it is really ok. I wanted to ask you something, as an ignorant that I am, I would like to save in the queue to yours, of my settings.
The first thing I did, I unlocked your favorite set, but after that I got lost. Could you explain to me how to act on the B5? And how do you eventually rename a setting?
Basically I took the set I preferred and modified it as I like it.
To memorize it, however, I have to leave Cantabile and come back. Could you give me a hand?