Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Hi Corky and All,

Really enjoying your patches, they import into the Snapshot slots like a charm! Any tips on the “Whippin’ Post” and “Trouble no More” Hammond settings by Gregg Allman? I am on an Allman binge …:smile:

Thanks!

Dave

Nothing wrong with that!!

No problem…I already have both songs in my “large” collection in C3. Will have to fit them into the other plugs first, but shouldn’t take very long. Expect them soon.
BTW…One of my bands plays several Allman tunes. We could probably be an Allman tribute band, but my shoulder length blonde hair no longer exists, and I am too old to snort cocaine on a regular basis! :joy:

Cheers

Corky

Thanks Corky! I look forward to the treasure :grin: and Thanks again!

Dave

1 Like

At the behest of Dave Dore’ :

PRESET MANIA #7 – Gregg Allman 2 – Whipping Post, Trouble No More, and others.

In these two songs, Allman did a lot of rhythmic vamping on the lower manual. In Trouble No More, the only time he uses the upper manual is when he duplicates licks with the guitars. On Whipping Post he vamps the lower manual to solidify the verse 11/8 timing, while also providing chords on the upper manual, B preset. When the song goes into 12/8, he is all about fast Leslie on Bb preset, upper manual. The percussion is also more dominant in these songs. As usual…bind expression pedal to a hardware volume pedal, and use it as a tube driver for more dirt.

THE PRESETS:

VB3 1.4
VB3_x64 1-Allman 2-VB3 1.4-CR.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

VB3 1.4 with IK Leslie v5.1
VB3_x64 1-Allman 2-VB3 1.4 IK Leslie.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Allman 2 TR5 VB3 1.4 - CR.cantabileprogram (11.4 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2
Blue3 1-Allman 2 Blue3 - CR.CantabileProgram (24.0 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2 + IK LESLIE v5.1
Blue3 1-Allman 2 Blue3 IK Leslie-CR.CantabileProgram (24.1 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Allman 2 TR5 Blue3 - CR.CantabileProgram (11.3 KB)

VB3 II v2.1 with resident Leslie
VB3-II 1-Allman 2 VB3 II - CR.CantabileProgram (32.9 KB)

VB3 II v2.1 with IK LESLIE v5.1

VB3-II 1-Allman 2 VB3 II IK Leslie-CR.CantabileProgram (32.9 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Allman 2 TR5 VB3 II - CR.cantabileprogram (11.4 KB)

B-5 v2.5

B-5 v2.5 + IK LESLIE v5.1

TR5 Leslie 1-Allman 2 IK Leslie B5 - CR.cantabileprogram (11.5 KB)

B-3X v1.1.1

Hammond B-3X 1-Gregg Allman 2.CantabileProgram (34.0 KB)

1 Like

PRESET MANIA #8 – FOOTSTOMPIN’ MUSIC – GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

Mark Farner, singer, guitarist, song writer also played a Hammond on a few songs. Most notable was “Footstompin’ Music”. Just for the record, I lost 10% of my remaining 30% hearing on this preset. One preset is used for the whole song.

THE PRESETS:

VB3 1.4
VB3_x64 1-Foot Stompin’ Music -VB3 1.4 - CR.cantabileprogram (15.5 KB)

VB3_x64 1-Foot Stompin’ Music -VB3 1.4 IK Leslie -CR.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Foot Stompin’ Music-TR5 VB3 1.4-CR.cantabileprogram (11.4 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2
Blue3 1-Foot Stompin’ Music - CR.CantabileProgram (24.0 KB)

Blue3 1-Foot Stompin’ Music - Blue3 IK Leslie -CR.cantabileprogram (24.1 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Foot Stompin’ Music-Blue3 IK Leslie-CR.cantabileprogram (11.2 KB)

VB3-II 1-Foot Stompin’ Music - CR.cantabileprogram (33.0 KB)

VB3-II 1-Foot Stompin’ Music -VB3 II IK Leslie - CR.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-Foot Stompin’ Music-TR5 VB3 II -CR.CantabileProgram (11.2 KB)

B-5 v2.5

TR5 Leslie 1-Foot Stompin’ Music-TR5-B5-CR.CantabileProgram (11.4 KB)

B-3X v1.1.1

Hammond B-3X 1-Footstompin’ Music-GFR-CR.CantabileProgram (33.6 KB)

2 Likes

THE OUTFITS!!! :rofl::joy::sweat_smile::laughing:
Definitely need some of that stuff - and of course some of what they smoked before getting on stage…

2 Likes

I particularly like the fact that they all usually went shirtless. I may try that at my next gig. BUT, maybe not. I would probably get guitar strap burns. That and the inability to find my waist…those pants would be swallowed up for sure! :joy:

PRESET MANIA #9 – DEEP PURPLE – PERFECT STRANGERS

The 80’s sound of Jon Lord. The organ intro is classic Lord. I always felt this song was an answer to Zepplin’s “Kashmir”, even though they were released 9 years apart. I based this preset on the “live” versions because they are more exciting and in-your-face than the laid-back studio recording.

I have the upper and lower manuals set as Lord and Airey used on stage. They both only used the Bb preset key on both manuals in this song. The lower manual was used only occasionally during verses. The upper B preset is used during the organ solo, and is usually adjusted by adding higher drawbars to taste. Percussion settings are sometimes adjusted on the fly. Lord uses fast Leslie during certain passages.

Again, swell pedal full on is maximum distortion for this preset. I normally do not use the pre or post fx in B3-X, as they negatively affect CPU load. However, I did use the post reverb on this preset. On my own personal setting, I add a subtle 3rd party echo with 1 return, post Leslie. It really adds character to this filthy monster.

NOTES:
I made these presets in Cantabile 3637.
Blue3 was very difficult to dial in, so I suggest using the Blue3 + IK Leslie version.
In most of the clones, the lower registers were dead on, but the higher octaves were a bit too “dirty”. I did what I could to even everything out. B3-X was the exception.**

THE PRESETS:

VB3 1.4
VB3_x64 1-DP - Perfect Strangers-VB3 1.4 - CR.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

VB3_x64 1-DP - Perfect Strangers-VB3 1.4 IK Leslie - CR.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-DP - Perfect Strangers -IK Leslie VB3 1.4 - CR.CantabileProgram (11.1 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2

Blue3 1-DP - Perfect Strangers - Blue3 - CR.CantabileProgram (24.1 KB)

Blue3 1-DP - Perfect Strangers - Blue3 IK Leslie - CR.CantabileProgram (24.1 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-DP - Perfect Strangers -IK Leslie Blue3 - CR.cantabileprogram (11.1 KB)

VB3-II 1-DP - Perfect Strangers - VB3 II - CR.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

VB3-II 1-DP - Perfect Strangers -VB3 II IK Leslie - CR.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-DP - Perfect Strangers -IK Leslie VB3 II - CR.CantabileProgram (11.1 KB)

B-5 v2.5

TR5 Leslie 1-DP - Perfect Strangers -IK Leslie B5 - CR.cantabileprogram (11.1 KB)

B-3X v1.1.1

Hammond B-3X 1-DP-Perfect Strangers-CR.CantabileProgram (33.6 KB)

ENJOY !!

CORKY

3 Likes

I’ve been noodling around with the old free Organized VST with my wind controller. It’s kind of fun, the slower attack isn’t too forgiving if you play a lot of blips like me. Sometimes I’m adding a Voltage Modular effect plugin so I can add a breath swell/fade to the sound. I haven’t messed around with proggy organ sounds at all but the basic jazz organ sound is pretty good. You could probably add some tube compression to get a little more bite. Here’s a bit of it…I have the breath control on during the melody so I could do the fall-off…I disengage during the solo to get more bite on the attack.

**Great new Leslie and Hammond electronics, and fixes!! ** 2020 NAMM Show.

Booker Labs - they say there’s southern hospitality, this is southern ingenuity. :grinning:

1 Like

Just some food for thought and your enjoyment…Boom Boom Boom BOOM!

Nice!!

PRESET MANIA #10 – PINK FLOYD – SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND

This was taken from the live version at Knebworth in 1990. Fortunately, there were many camera shots of Rick Wright, and his Hammond with settings. I noticed he never switched from the B key setting, but I did copy his A# key setting, just in case. There were no noticeable drawbar adjustments during his performance.

THE PRESETS:

VB3 1.4
VB3_x64 1-PF Shine On - CR - VB3 1.4.cantabileprogram (15.5 KB)

VB3_x64 1-PF Shine On - CR - VB3 1.4 IK.CantabileProgram (15.5 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-PF Shine On - CR - IK VB3 1.4.cantabileprogram (11.3 KB)

BLUE 3 v2.2.2
Blue3 1-PF Shine On - CR - Blue3.CantabileProgram (24.0 KB)

Blue3 1-PF Shine On - CR - Blue3 IK.CantabileProgram (24.1 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-PF Shine On - CR - IK Blue3.cantabileprogram (11.6 KB)

VB3-II 1-PF Shine On - CR -VB3 II.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

VB3-II 1-PF Shine On - CR -VB3 II IK.cantabileprogram (33.0 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-PF Shine On - CR - IK VB3 II.cantabileprogram (11.6 KB)

B-5 v2.5

TR5 Leslie 1-PF Shine On - CR - IK B5.CantabileProgram (11.6 KB)

B-3X v1.2

Hammond B-3X 1-PF Shine On - CR - B3-X.CantabileProgram (33.7 KB)

4 Likes

Now, that is one I am going to have to try! :slight_smile:

You are correct that Rick was not a drawbar waggler. Most of his Hammond technique is Leslie switching

Very nice Shine On Hammond Sound. The one I have been using with VB3-II and TRS Leslie is a little more subtle. In the spirit of sharing, here it is.

I also use Klanghelm SDRR in my organ rack between VB3II and the Leslie.

Here are the sounds. along with the rack they sit in.

VB3-II 1-PF Shine On - DAC -VB3 II IK.CantabileProgram (33.0 KB)

TR5 Leslie 1-PF Shine On - DAC - IK VB3 II.cantabileprogram (14.6 KB)

SDRR2 1- -PF Shine On - DAC - .CantabileProgram (10.4 KB)

Hammond and Leslie.cantabileRack (84.7 KB)

I will need to play about and A/B between mine and yours, I think. I like both! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Derek. You are correct, Wright seems to stick with one sound on Hammond during a song. The drawbars were easy, as they were displayed several times during the show. It was very close to the settings I derived from listening to the recorded version…about a thousand times. :smirk:
The PF Hammond always seems to be somewhat buried in many of their songs, which makes it hard to detect settings. The biggest challenge on this one was getting the Leslie to sit right. Since I was going for tone, I used different Leslie models on different VSTs, regardless of Wrights original equipment. That has been the challenge on all these presets. The clones don’t always respond the same as the originals.

Combine them, and see what you get! You may be surprised. :+1:

1 Like

This from GSI:

VB3-II is about to take a solid shape…

No photo description available.

Looks like a possible sound module. Wish they would make software improvements

BTW, now I know what to do with them and had the time :slight_smile: , I also downloaded the B3-X versions of your other PRESET MANIA sounds. They are all very good. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a good long song thread over at vdrums. Someone posted this today - Casualties of Jazz!

2 Likes