Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Been a while since I posted anything here (a lovely Welsh summer has kept me mostly outdoors), but on seeing this meme on FB, I had to nab it and post it here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yep…THE heaviest!!

True. Though Ampeg SVT cabinets weigh more than Leslies…

That is true, but I wasn’t judging by weight…by tone. That heavy, growly, in your face tone. :metal:

1 Like

Thanks, waltercruz! Picked up the T-Racks Leslie for $25.99 USD with my Jam Points to go with my previously purchased Amplitube Leslie.

3 Likes

Here is the B5 preset for my stay at home project (not a “plugin snapshot”) must be loaded through B5.

BB KING BCOL.zip (3.7 KB)

1 Like

I should do that just to use with Corky’s shared presets! :grinning: I’ve got a bunch of jam points

2 Likes

This is related to the current discussions on this thread.

Hi Corky, do you have a YouTube link for that version? Is it the one with Steve Winwood playing guitar (not sure who keyboard player is)

Hey Doug

Not sure if it’s that particular video. One of my guitar pickers brought it into a rehearsal a few years back, I set the keys up, and we ran with it. I was using IK Leslie and VB3 II, probably because they were my newest toys, and It did have the long intro like that one. The one you ask about is the 2007 Crossroads Festival, and they changed musicians throughout the show. The Winwood set included Chris Stainton (keyboards), and Tim Carmon (keyboards), according to “WheresEric.com”. Tim was on organ. Hope that helps.

Regards

Corky

After I bumped into Booker T playing at Daryl’s house I did the deep dive listening to his whole discography. I’m working on some tunes from Melting Pot like “Chicken Pox”. Really has me thinking about the subtle harmonic changes to chords you can achieve with the drawbars.

Booker T was a huge influence. Saw him play many times, and is a very kind, gentle person to talk to. To really see his depth, I really recommend this:

He, and the MG’s were the band behind so many soul hits coming out of Memphis in the 60’s, much like the Wrecking Crew in LA, and the Swampers in Muscle Shoals. Stax and Volt records were just part of what he did. They also toured with the acts, such as Sam n Dave, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Carla Thomas, Eddie Floyd, Issac Hayes…many others. All this while he was studying music full-time at Indiana University.

For me, he opened the door away from the jazz guys into soul, blues and gospel, which also eventually led into the Rascals and Blood Sweat & Tears, then on to Vanilla Fudge, Steppenwolf, Deep Purple, and all the rock stuff going on at the time. Before Covid, I would still throw in a few Booker T style lead licks in a few songs, just to put a smile on my face. No one but me would know, or understand. :grin:

5 Likes

For all the diehard B3 guys out there, this improvisation of Green Onions by Jim Alfredson is worth a listen. I like Jim’s improv variations that start at 3:30 min or so. Lots of drawbar pulling and Leslie switching going on the last half of the song. I believe it was recorded about 10 years ago.

Like Booker T, I have a lot of respect for Jim Alfredson as a Hammond master. Lots of tips and tweaks can be learned from his playing.

3 Likes

Hey Dave

Thanks for the video. I’ve watched many of Jim’s performances. Much respect for him. Never saw this one till now. :grin:

1 Like

@Wurli

Sorry I couldn’t get back sooner. I accepted a few TV/Radio ad contracts, and had some deadlines to meet.

What I was able to pick up from the few “clear” recordings of Art Neville on the internet, his sounds were definitely based in Gospel. Considering his age and background, that would make sense. There is also some Booker T and Jazz influence in his playing, which leads to Soul, and on to Funk and Reggae.

The preset I am sending is named “CR Neville”. You will have to load it into B3-X. I made 4 sub-presets for B3-X that I heard him use. They will be on the B and Bb key presets on both manuals. Hope you like them. Anyone is welcome to download this, just know they are not my normal preset share, and must be loaded directly into B3-X.

CR Neville.zip (1.8 KB)

Regards

Corky

PS:
I noticed another New Orleans legend died this week…Bryan Lee. I was present at a live recording of his in the Old Absinthe House Bar on Bourbon St. He had many guest players with him that night. I spoke with him at length after the 1st set. What a nice guy. He introduced me to his guests: James Cotton, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Frank Marino. All of them are legends, and I was floored. I was truly floating on a cloud that night.

3 Likes

Hi Corky,

Just curious, are you doing music or voice over work for the TV/Radio people?

Cheers,

Dave

Music . I work with a few studios around. Mostly jingle type commercials. They contract me for the music, then they add voice overs and singers. Most of the voice overs are done at the TV and Radio stations. Singers at the studios. Big market here for lawyers and car dealerships. I started doing Radio jingles and bumper music in the early eighties, and just kinda fell into that market. It doesn’t pay that well anymore, and there is less work now. Gives me something to do…especially now with Covid…

Most ads here just use library crap and are done by radio stations in house. Have done one jingle in the last 10 years I think (and it was a knock off of Eye Of The Tiger) lol

1 Like

I did a ton of bumper music for talk radio networks, but they got wise and bought cheap CD compilations. All these “accident” lawyers want a catchy tune with their phone number. They flood the local market with ads, and are very competitive. Still, it is a tough gig to get. The wife of a bandmate does full time voice over work at the national level, and has supplied a few ad gigs for me. Still nothing much to make it worthwhile…just a time killer.

I wish I still had a copy of the Eye Of The Tiger ad. It sounds great. Well, apart from the singer, he was just adequate but I didn’t pick him. We did it maybe three years ao and I just started hearing it on local radio last month; had forgotten about it!

2 Likes