Controller threshold binding?

Hi,
Would be really great if I could bind something like a note off or GLooper reset/start record on an expression pedal reaching minimum, but I’m not seeing a way to bind something to a controller reaching a threshold? Would be great to have that.

Thanks!

Interesting idea - I’ve never considered this. Would anyone else find this useful?

1 Like

I needed this exact thing a few months ago, needing to bind a continuous controllers to a “triggger” like event. But now I cant remember what I was trying to achieve…

Neil

@brad imagine you have a media player that is sending a sequence to a VST, when a CC crosses a threshold. Then you’ve bound the CC to a synth part’s filter cutoff, and you’re raising this up, the musical tension builds, and at some point you cross the threshold and the media player triggers the section. Would be nice :slight_smile:

Or, trigger delay to only happen once your wah pedal is in the rised state.

Or toggle between two guitar effects every time you drop a pedal all the way down. Lots of cool uses!

Thanks

I can’t be sure that this does the job, but it just might;
It’s plz midi midiCCmodulator.
midiCCModulator - Use one CC to modulate another CC (or note velocity) in various ways: add/subtract/multiply/etc, plus logic gates (AND, NAND, XNOR, etc)

Seems like it could do the job.
http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

These look quite great! Thanks

ReaControlMidi from the Reaper plugin library helps with some of that too. But no thresholding:
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

How about using a CC Mapper filter with very narrow ranges… See the screen shot below, but to explain:

• The CC Mapper filter converts one CC to another optionally applying a range mapping.
  • In this example I’ve set it to map CC 16 range 0-0 to CC 17 range 127-127
  • The “Copy Event” option means to leave the original CC event alone and continue to pass it through
  • The “Clamp Out of Range Source Values” Options says that if the source value is outside the source range (0-0) then to not map it to the new CC
  • By mapping it to a target range of 127-127 it’ll always send 127.

So basically it passes through CC16 but if it detects CC16=0 then it sends 127 on CC 17. You should then be able to create a no-edge button binding from CC17.

You can see it working in the MIDI monitor window below.

Convoluted and unintuitive but should work…

Brad

4 Likes

Thanks @brad, I see how that would work. Meanwhile i did manage to get it going by simply mapping the 0-10 from the input CC to 0-1 on the output from the binding’s value, which is great!