Cantibile will not recognize my Sonitus effects .dlls located in the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" folder

Cantibile will not recognize my Sonitus effects ‘.dlls’ located in the “C:\Program Files\Cakewalk” folder and I’m not sure why. Any suggestions?

Has Cantabile been directed to Search in that Directory under VST Plugin Folders? Force a VST Scan?

1 Like

Also, make sure you’re not trying to load 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Cantabile

1 Like

“C:\Program Files\Cakewalk” is not the default location for VSTs.
Just add this path in Tools -> Options -> Plugin Options, as @easteelreath has shown.

As Jim said, maybe it’s a 32/64 bit mismatch.

• To run the 32 bit plugins (the .dll files) on 64 bit Cantabile you need Jbridge.

I’ve tried using jbridge as well. I also have Brainspawn Forte and it can use these effects without issue. Sonar can use these effects without issue.
I’m truly puzzled.

Long time Sonar and Cantabile user here… I’ve tried to use Sonitus plugins in the past but they’re 32 bit so as cpaolo said you’d need to use Jbridge. Not sure how much of a CPU load Jbridge is but I opted to use other 64 bit plugs that are just as good, if not better. These are all free and most are relatively low CPU load: Spaceship Delay, Voxengo Old School reverb, EQ - Melda MEqualizer or Marvel EQ, for a little drive Saturation Knob or Nick Crow TubeDriver. Loudmax is a good brick wall limiter/compressor, for standard compression TDR Feedback Compressor or MJUC Jr. For modulation BlueCat Chorus, Flanger, Phaser are my go-to’s. BlueCat and Melda have a lot of other pretty good free plugins as well. UAD is currently running a free special on their LA-2A compressor which I used to use a lot for recording projects, but I haven’t tried it recently since UAD usually has a pretty heavy CPU hit.

I recently tried Wider 2 by Polyverse for mono>stereo on Guitar and brass… it’s really nice with a low CPU load. I especially like the fact that it allows you to exclude the stereo processing on the low end so the lower notes are mono. It’s a sliding frequency cutoff. You’d think that would sound strange but it’s actually really nice. Plus it has a mono button to test mono compatibility. Like many here I have a couple “Global” effect or Master racks, with just EQ and Compressor, and I’m now going to add Wider to my “Basic Effects” rack. Since I’ve set it to be global across all songs that have the rack, at the push of the Mono button I can change all stereoized instruments to mono. Global racks like that are very handy, depending on venue, PA, etc.

Best,
Tom

I had completely forgotten about it. Nice, but too unreliable to really use. Compared to this, Cantabile seems to have come from outer space.

Tom,

You are right, there are plenty of free alternatives to Sonitus.
However, Jbridge’s CPU load is negligible.

Even though it is a UAD plug-in, it is not a very heavy one. That was surprising.