Cantabile, Traktor, 1 PC, 2 Audio Interfaces, 2 Asio Drivers?

Just downloaded Cantabile Lite

Using it to run some VSTi’s and live audio processing alongside my Traktor DJ software

Cantabile Using my RME Babyface pro & it’s Asio Driver
Taking audio input from the RME, processing in Canta, Outputting to RME

Traktor using my Traktor S4’s integrated audio interface and Asio driver
No live inputs, Just playing tracks/samples off my SSD, to the S4 outputs

I’ve only been playing with it for a few minutes, but to my surprise, it seems stable. Both programs are showing their respective Devices and Drivers, with no hitch in audio.

I was under the impression you could only run 1 audio device/driver at a time on any given machine?

Maybe I missinterpreted that from, ‘You can only run audio device in one DAW at a time (Asio4all and Apple’s Aggregate Device trickery aside)’

Basically my question is
Am I asking for trouble, operating like this?
Is running 2 devices and 2 devices in parralel, precarious?

Note I’m not worried about routing one’s audio to the other. Nor Connecting the 2 Audio Interfaces Internally/Externally.

The idea is to utilize the total 8 analogue outputs across my 2 Audio Interfaces, running to FOH for a live show

They are both fulfilling seperate tasks in a live show. I’l consider MIDI Clock syncing them together at some stage, if this proves stable

Any thoughts?

Hi Sam,

The Cantabile only controls one asio interface at a time but other users are using other programs like Voicemeeter and O Deus ASIO Link Pro. @terrybritton is up to speed on much of this and might chime in as well.

regards

Dave

Hi Sam,

From Cantabile’s point of view this should be fine.

The only thing you might like to do is drop Cantabile’s audio engine thread count (and similar setting in Traktor if it has one) so both apps aren’t fighting for the same CPUs. It will probably work fine without doing this, but worth trying - especially if you’re running hyperthreaded cpu (eg: i7)

Brad

Dave, Brad, thanks for your input

I’ve just looked into Voicemeter and Deus, looks like possibilities just keep multiplying!

I played some more with different plugs in Cantabile whilst traktor ran in the background, an still found it stable. I’m happy!

I think my only issue will be maxing out my CPU’s abilities, as it’s only a lil’ U i5 from Ivy Lake.
But I’ll try your thread count suggestion anyway Brad.

Thanks again
Sam

1 Like