Cantabile Performer as active crossover

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here is using Cantabile as an active crossover for a multi-way system. I realize that’s not the main purpose of the software, but given how straightforward my live setup is compared to what Cantabile can offer, I thought I’d give it a shot.

I created a new audio output without assigning any physical channels from my audio interface and checked the “Enable Loopback” box. That gave me the corresponding audio input as well (both marked as loopback).

My songs (or rather, my single song containing a ton of—maybe too many—states) route to the “Loopback Out” on the right column. In the Background Rack, I took the “Loopback In” from the left column and split it across four minimum-phase stereo EQs (with oversampling turned off). Each EQ is chained to its own brickwall limiter (four in total). The stereo output from each limiter goes to its respective output channel pair created for my interface—routing out to the power amps for highs, mids, lows, and the sub.

How do you guys handle active crossovers? Have you ever tried a setup like this in Cantabile?

I’ve only been using Cantabile Performer for a couple of months, so I’m not even sure if my routing approach is ideal or if there’s a better/dedicated feature for this.

Anyway, if you’ve had the patience to read all the way through, you’re already my hero!

Cheers everyone!

1 Like

Hi Gurzo and Welcome to the Forum, :slight_smile:

In my memory you are the first user to do this and post about it. That said it is an interesting approach to interfacing with your speaker systems. To paraphrase Brad the developer , I can’t believe some of the stuff you guys come up with using the Cantabile host. There are plans to add a global output rack which would eliminate the loopback to the background rack. If you have or get the current performer version you can place the filters in a linked rack which you load in each song and also avoid the loopback audio. Personally for my live work I use the passive crossover on my subs and run 2 way mono.

Cheers,

Dave

You know, I’m not aware of a crossover plug-in, but it’s worth a search.

Maybe there’s a multi band EQ with an output for each band that would do the job?

Simplest might be running an HPF, LPF, and BPF in parallel and running each virtual output to its own physical output.

Digital phase matching is, relatively speaking, fairly recent. I wonder if there’s a plug-in version of one of those digital speaker processors that automatically deals with phase adjustment and room EQ.

1 Like