Cantabile on Linux under Wine

Thanks m8, yep tried the offline as well and had no joy. Even when I reversed the audio tweak, it still wanted me to re-activate.

Tried to remove all traces with an uninstall (of the original installation, not the zip package) also removed all entries from registry and started again…same issue!

Oh and I think I MIGHT have a solution to the ngen.exe issue mentioned previously. I think it may have something to do with the install executable trying to install the 32 bit version…is there a 64bit only version of the installer?

Hi @pax-eterna

I’m really not sure what’s going on there with the licensing. What was the issue/error message with the offline licensing?

Oh, good catch. No the installer always installs the x86 version and I don’t want to get into maintaining multiple installers. What I might be able to do is have it detect wine and in that case only install x64 edition… but I’ll need to look into that and pretty busy with other stuff at the moment.

Yeah understand that! All good, only really mentioned it for anytime you happen to be working on the installer side of things :slight_smile:
I didn’t pay much attention really re the offline…for the purpose of clarity I’ll run it again and post back.

Ok, the glitch with Offline is it wouldn’t allow me to navigate to the directory to select it…although that was the Linux Downloads …just had a thought, does C3 have a “automatic” finder for the downloaded offline key? If so I can place it into that location under WINE (Windows)

The license file is only used during the activation. Usually you can just double click on it, but under Linux I guess the path would need to be translated.

You could try just running Cantabile.exe and passing it the full path to where ever the file is - that should let Cantabile find the file, read it and update the license.

$ wine cantabile.exe Offline.cantabileLicense

So I thought I’d setup a vm to have a play with this and have installed Manjaro.

I’m wondering though did you install Microsoft .NET Framework, or did you let Cantabile’s installer install it, or are you using Mono?

I do not normally spend any time on forums, but I do follow this one. I have Cantabile solo on an old Windows 7. I rarely use it because of my own feelings about Microsoft and Windows and definitely will not go to 10 or 11. I use Carla on Linux. I give you this background so that I can say THANK YOU to Brad for trying to help someone get Cantabile working on linux WINE. With no dig on the Carla developer (as far as I can see he keeps linux music viable almost by himself), I much prefer Cantabile and would love to use it on linux.

3 Likes

ok thanks Brad - good to see you running with this a bit! As I wrote earlier under the audio setup I had previously I had C3 running sweetly loading any VST and media file, recognising controllers etc etc…then changing the underlying WINE audio from PulseAudio to a “closer to the kernel” ALSA broke it…still figuring how the hell that happened, I like you could envision no link between them.

I tried this as I figured C3 sample/buffer rates were some how “locked” to the WINE defaults - IE, the lowest buffer I could get was 256, ergo if I got WINE using ALSA, I’d get lower latency. 256 was “ok” but you could JUST detect some hesitation on notes…useable but it just felt “off”!

However now, even after removing all traces and starting again, when attempting activation that “trust” issue keeps arising.

I didn’t install .net as an intentional step, afaik…I ran Wine-Staging (6.14 , as 6.15 and 6.16 break Yabridge - a much better Windows VST wrapper in Linux) and when I executed the first Windows app, it auto-nstalled Gecko and Mono.

Just a small contribution…

Astronauts use Linux because you can’t open Windows in space! :smirk:

:corn: :corn: :corn: -E

Now there’s a “dad” joke!!

1 Like

I’m curious what your objection to Windows 10 is?

Actually just had another thought on the “Trust” issue - could it be perhaps a HTTP -v- HTTPS issue? Probably at the WINE end as Cantabile is HTTPS, yes?

Hi @pax-eterna,

So I seem to be having far less luck than you… possibly because I’m running on a VM. So I tried this:

1. Deleted my old .wine prefix to get rid of the .NET471 install that I did yesterday with winetricks.
  2. Create a new .wine prefix, ran wineboot and accepted the offer to install mono.
  3. Ran Cantabile.exe from the zip file and got the licensing screen.
  4. Tried online registration, which failed with the same trust error as you (I suspect this is related to mono and SSL certs - see this (old) post).
  5. Tried offline registration and got it to partly work, but then Cantabile/wine/mono hung and the changes didn’t get saved.

Perhaps if your install is more stable this might get you going. To install the offline license:

1. Download the offline license and put it somewhere where wine and Cantabile can access it. (I copy the extracted zip and the license file to ~/.wine/drive_c/users/brad/Downloads)
  2. From a command line, while in the Downloads/CantabileExtractedZipFolder run this:
wine Cantabile.exe ../Offline.cantabileLicense

You should get a message about the licenses being installed:

After this I get a log message about what looks like a deadlock so I need to run wineserver -k to kill it:

Now if you run Cantabile again, choose Offline License and then press Continue you should be able to choose the license:

After that it just hangs again for me, but perhaps it’ll work for you.

Thanks Brad - I did a right click on the downloaded Licence file and selected open with Cantabile and got that message box about two licences being installed.

Went back to to C3 box and chose Offline and still go nothing. But I’ll give your method a try. I have a working Manjaro image with C3 working as I described above, so I can always go back to that and try to figure other ways to get 128 buffer size as an option in the Settings window of C3.

If it would help I can send you the copy of the licence text file generated…

Tried the CLI method and couldn’t get it to recognise the file.

haha, turned out to be simple (re offline) I just made the Offline Licence file downloaded executable, dbl clicked it, it advised it installed two again…but this time when I went to re-activate via Offline, the licences were there.

So now I have C3 up and running again, and an issue with the XR18 USB audio, for some reason C3 will not use it. I can set it to HDMI Audio (and a 128/48000 setup) but haven’t tried that as yet as it uses the headphone socket… NOT a good way to go. Might have to figure some sort of bridging in Qjackctl or similar.

Ok, so here is a take-away, under WINE the audio controls in C3 have no effect. It’s all controlled from JACK…I just tried setting the latency setting to 1024 in C3 (but jack was set to 64, using ALSA) and it made no difference. Ergo, the control in C3 really means nothing as it is under the control of JACK, whcih in a way makes sense.
Which is why, I suspect, the audio mode MUST be set to shared. With shared not ticked, the audio fails to start.
I will keep playing around with it to see if I can somehow get it (under WINE…apparently there is a WINE-ASIO driver??) to access directly the usb sound device, but tbh, now I have useable latency (it’s probs at about 128, going by feel) I might just push on with creating a few song setups.

EDIT: PS - still haven’t figured the “trust” issue??

Hey @pax-eterna you’re obviously having much more luck with this that I am… which I’m going to put down to trying to run it on a VM - just too many layers perhaps.

Anyway… that trust thing I’m pretty sure that’s a Mono on Wine issue and nothing I can do about it.

Yeah VM’s are notorious for that shit Brad…haha I even got a mouse lagging on it. I avoid it now…all good re the trust thing I’m running it from the zipped version , haven’t tried an update yet, but that should go ok I think… you also need to run pipewire and not pulseaudio , that MAY be holding you back as well ???

Anyhoo I’m more confident of this working now, ran it for three hours solid this arvo playing around with it , chopping and changing vst’s and midi controllers…it handled it without a hitch!! Just a tiny bit of crackling under extreme MIDI load, which is to say I REALLY pushed it to see how far I could push it :smiley: