Cantabile custom themes [SOLVED]

When I have a page full of racks/plugins I personally find all the horizontal lines between the racks a bit distracting, so thought I’d have a go at customising the dark theme to make them darker (changing their colour from #909090 to #505050). I made the change, zipped up the theme folder, removed the .zip extension, and copied it into the Cantabile installation folder. However Cantabile launches with an “Error loading theme data. Theme package doesn’t contain a file named theme.json” dialog, and refuses to start. I’m fairly sure the theme file contains a theme.json file! Then the next time I launch Cantabile it says last time it didn’t shut down cleanly.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I’ve shared my theme file in Dropbox here.

Neil

1 Like

Ok, my fault (as usual!!). What I’d done is redirect the resourceFolder path in my settings.json to a location in my Dropbox folder, to make theme editing easier (and for sharing with my other Cantabile boxes). However I’d failed to copy the standard installed Dark.theme and Light.theme into the folder, so it wasn’t finding a theme (and not closing down cleanly…).

I don’t seem to be able to add my own theme though, only modify the existing Dark/Light themes. But that’s good enough for me at the moment.

Happy with my tweaked dark theme, with the more subtle rack borders!

Neil

3 Likes

Looks nice, Neil! I’m adopting it as well! :sunny:

Terry

Hey @Neil_Durant

Nice!

There’s nothing special about the built in themes and you should be able to create as many as you like - not sure why you can’t create a new one.

One quick tip - Cantabile will look for either a zip file renamed to .theme or a folder with .theme. Using a folder is easier while you’re editing the theme.

eg: I just extracted Dark.theme to a folder Dark2.theme:

and it shows up just fine:

Brad

2 Likes

Ok that explains it, thanks Brad! I had renamed my theme as Dark.theme.Neil. A bit stupid, in retrospect :blush:

1 Like