Cantabile + Apple M1/M2 + Crossover / Rosetta 2

Hi,

Anyone know if it’s possible to run Cantabile on Apple M1/M2 with Crossover or Rosetta 2?

I’m upgrading 4 x Windows machines and would make a jump to M1/M2 if Cantabile will work with it.

Tx

Gary

As I understand it, Cantabile is a Windows only program.

• Paul

You will find a related thread on te forum.

Thanks for that. I think I can borrow an M2 to see how it works. I decided to custom build a couple of PCs for Cantabile for now. Much appreciated!

Tx

G

A macOS port has been on @brad’s roadmap for a long time, but has been de-prioritized.

see here: https://trello.com/c/tfPlUAHn/107-port-to-os-x

1 Like

Yep, I used to get a lot of enquiries about mac version, but they’ve pretty much dried up and I’m having a hard time justifying the time to port it now.

2 Likes

Hi Brad -

Keep in mind that requests may have dried up because Mac users had been frustrated with the wait, and moved on to alternative hosts on the Mac. I voted for the Mac port years ago (as did significant numbers of others), but moved on after a port never materialized and was later de-prioritized. This does not mean I no longer wish for a Mac port (I would definitely rekindle my Cantabile usage on the Mac). I’d hedge a guess that I’m not alone. Unless your customers can re-vote periodically, I think you are missing your opportunity by saying that requests have dried-up.

2 Likes

Huh, porting to Mac, my secret dream. :slightly_smiling_face:

But that’s not going to happen, since the Win version is @Brad’s full time job.

Also, Cantabile is very much based on .NET. I don’t think it would be easy to port. Not to mention the effort required to develop and maintain both Win and Mac versions.
The point is: Brad is not the Steinberg, Native Instruments, IK, etc.

2 Likes

.NET isn’t the problem as these days it runs pretty much everywhere (Windows, Linux, Mac even Raspi).

The bigger problem is everything else OSX related.

I was pretty heavily invested in using Cantabile until I got a mac and had to switch - would love to come back if it ever became supported