Cantabile and Spitfire LABS

Hello, I downloaded Free Soft Piano with Spitfire LABS app, and I would like to know how to connect this plugin with Cantabile. I read that this plugin is compatible with NKS engine. I can use this plugin, with LABS but I would like to have all my plugins through Cantabile. Is it possible ? As a beginner, the cooperation between plugin and Cantabile is not clear to me.
Thank you for your help.

Hi Patrick,
welcome to the club!
I you run the labs installer (SpitfireAudio-Win-3.4.13.exe) it will install the vst or dll files in the correct directories. You need to set the plugin directories in the Cantabile settings to these directories and then it will find the Labs plugin and you are good to go!

succes,
joop

Hello Joop, thank you for the info. It works (I was searching the plugin in the wrong folder).
Now struggling with latency problems. When playing quick staccato, the result is really bad. Just wondering if it is a matter of VST quality. Maybe because it is a free VST?
I played with the latency time (buffer, sampling frequency…). My computer is a mini computer with i5 / 8G RAM connected to a Focus Rite sound card.
My piano is not a master keyboard, but a CASIO hybrid piano (I just want to try another piano sound).
Really upset. I will try with another VST host to verify.

Hi Patrick,
i5/8G mini should be more than sufficient for LABS. CPU speed is also relevant, but should not be a problem for LABS.
First step is to follow the glitch free guide: Glitch Free - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians
I would leave the frequency on 44 kHz, buffer at 256 (or lower).
Did you install an ASIO driver? Focus rite should have its own driver.
You might try the Iowa piano vst for a light-weight trial:
Download Free Steinway Grand Piano plugin: Iowa Piano by bigcat Instruments
regards,
Joop

Hi Joop, it works! Magic. Just a matter of routing the good MIDI input. No more latency, but I will try your recommended plugin. Soft Piano is ok for some melody, but staccato is horrible on my system, even after tuning the few parameters of the plugin. Thanks again.

You’re welcome :hugs:. There are lot’s of free piano’s on the market, but probably you will find yourself buying something nice at a certain point in time. In this forum you will find endless discussions on the most preferred piano library.
For free stuff you could start here: Bedroom Producers Blog - Freeware For Musicians!

Not a freebie, but it’s certainly a great instrument for the price and the limited resources it requires.
It’s a Yamaha CFX 9’ handmade grand piano, in its compact version (2GB on disc compared to over 50GB for the full version). It’s actually 10GB in size since it’s stored in compressed audio, and requires the free Plogue Sforzando Player.
The main difference with the full library is the missing ‘nine microphones’ samples, but only a stereo perspective.

What about the Kawai (at 22 Euro) did you try that as well?

Which Kawai?

A while back I got the Acousicsamples Kawai EXpro just 'cause it was a deal, but it’s not worth the $99 they’re charging now IMO. It’s a sturdy piano, good for pop.

Hello, just a stupid question: when you buy a piano plugin, do you need a specific software to play with? Because i feel that with some commercial plugin, or even free ones, you must buy a runner… like native instrument? Am i right?

Yes, you’re right. There are some players that are a bit more used than others (Native Instruments Kontakt (paid) or Kontakt Player (free), UVI Workstation (free), Plogue Sforzando (also free)…

Some others have their own proprietary players, e.g. Synthogy, Vienna Symphonic Library, etc., and come with sample libraries. In many cases, more expensive libraries come with their own player.

Then there are modelling pianos, which do not require samples and are always dedicated software.

1 Like

Hi Paolo,
I ment this one of Production voices:

that’s at 22 Euro
Joop

Thanks Joop,

I missed this. I listened to the audio demos, jazzy sounding, I like that piano, so I’ll download the trial first.
Still, I think for $22 it is worth it.

I decided to try the Demo and am very positively surprised. Nice and clear sound, good dynamics, high on my list. I will buy the full version,
Joop

1 Like

Keep an eye on Production Voices. Expecially for the big libraries, they sometimes have crazy deals.

1 Like