Cantabile 2.0 for Ivory II

Hi folks,

I’m hitting a roadblock. I am very new to VSTs and DAWs so I may use some jargon incorrectly or misunderstand concepts. I’ll try to be as clear and precise as possible.

I have a windows 10 machine. I recently bought the Ivory II American Concert D piano. It comes with what it says is the Cantabile 2.0.0.2072 player. The piano plays fine in Cantabile 2.0. It’s fantastic, I love it.

I want to use the piano in a DAW. The piano comes with a VST plugin. I’ve tried Reaper, Ableton Live and Studio One. In every case, the DAW sees the VST plugin and can open the plugin’s “GUI panel” (you know, the window with the nice knobs and switches.) When I press a key on my midi controller, I can see both the DAW and the VST plugin responding to the midi signal.

And yet, the piano makes no sound in any of the DAWs. After banging my head on this problem for a week, I decided to try to download a free VST or two and see if I could get them to play inside a DAW. Of course… they did, no problems at all.

I usually have no trouble finding commentary on pretty much any topic in the world, but when it comes to Synthogy products working or not working in DAWs… the internet is a desert.

I think it’s likely the Ivory II VST plugin is not a Cantabile product, so I may be asking this question on the wrong forum. Synthogy doesn’t seem to have any support documentation or forum in place, and they will not respond to my support request, so I thought I’d give you all a try since Synthogy has some association to Cantabile.

Did you load a Program Preset from the Ivory GUI? I’ve made this error before FWIW. I didn’t see that in your list of steps. The Cantabile 2 host automatically loads the last Ivory Program Preset you had up and saved in the default. I know the developer @brad built the C2 host so he might chime in too in case I am out in the weeds. Check the Program Preset on the Ivory VSTI program page after you load Ivory into the DAW to make sure one is loaded.

Dave

High Five! That fixed it. I had no idea what a program preset was. It was set to *default, which apparently means “nothing”.

Thanks for the extremely quick help.

We know everything.
:smiley:

2 Likes