Can someone explain me fast song switching and complete rig control?

I’m interested in purchasing cantabile 3 but i don’t know if i need all the functions of the performer version wich comes with fast song switching and complete rig control

i’ve seen that in cantabile solo trial you can bind something of your midi controller to switch a song and using ssd is really fast so how this compare to fast song switching of the performer version?

and complete rig control means that in cantabile solo you can’t use certain midi controllers? or you can’t use the 100% of your existing midi controllers?

Hi Reigner,

Fast Song Switching is achieved by both Linked Racks (also known as Shared Racks) and Set List Pre-Loading

Linked Racks hold commonly used instruments and effects that are used in more than one song in a set list. This allows only one instance of each Rack with an instrument to be loaded in RAM for fast access when used in combination with the Set list pre-loader

The Set List Pre-Load function allows the entire set list of Songs to be loaded into RAM memory for fast Song switching during a live show. This is also aided by C3 Performers State switching inside the Songs for fast solo to rhythm instrument changes. The Linked Racks mentioned above also help save memory because without them the set list pre-loader would load multiple instances of all the Vst instruments used in the entire set list even if they were the same one and run out of RAM pretty quickly.

No, you can use all midi controllers with solo.

Yes, without Performer you can’t have the mirrored controller feedback used for rotary LED rings and slider strips that show current controller values and sync with sliders and knobs in Cantabile 3.

Complete Rig Control refers to the addition of flexible Trigger bindings for vst and outboard synth configuration, led feedback loops for external controllers to mirror C3 slider and knob settings and the MIDI clock external syncing capability.

Dave

1 Like

You might want to take a look at the Fast Song Switching Blog post, too. If you use sample-based VSTs, Fast Song Switching is almost mandatory for live playing.

1 Like

Hi reigner,

There is no cost penalty for going to Solo first and then to Performer but I found while on Solo that as I got up to speed learning Cantabile it got hard to figure out which techniques discussed in depth here on the forum were accessible to me. When I moved from Solo to Performer it was more fun to learn. Also I was starting to use it performing live and wanted to organize my Hammond and piano setups into racks that stayed loaded between songs. I decided after moving up through the versions that I probably should have just jumped from Lite to Performer. If you play live with Cantabile the Performer purchase is well worth it.

1 Like

that sounds good, i think i will try solo first and then move up

1 Like

Just to add to the information here are some graphics of RAM usage with the different versions and capabilities.

No Linked (Shared) racks only Embedded racks and No Set list Pre-Loading. The memory is loaded with each Song change and takes the longest to do. The Vst racks could also be Vst instruments not placed in racks as well. This is about the limits of Solo version I think.

No Linked (Shared) racks and Set list Pre-Loading. This is faster switching but uses up more memory than the last example.

Linked (Shared) racks and No Set list Pre-Loading. This switches fast and uses the least memory possible.

Dave

5 Likes

Exactly how I started.

Nice details Dave. :grinning:

Wow @dave_dore , you’re totally going pro with your graphics :slight_smile: Nice work.

Or…
‘…complete rig control’ may refer to NI KOMPLETE (Guitar) RIG control…
Either way, 'Performer DOES completely control whatever MIDI-controllable rig you have. Actually, (IMHO), Cantabile controls rigs more completely than you can even imagine; I know… I TRIED to imagine them all and just, NO WAY! Once, I set up a vocal harmony VST that allowed me to press a single note on my keyboard (or guitar) and produce the accurate harmonies I needed (rather than algorithm-based ones that come with harmony appliances). I could play and sing harmony in real time using half the keyboard as a musical instrument, and the lower half to direct my vocal harmony, (6-part). That took an enormous amount of brain power and some time creating the bindings. But the result was no less than stellar - LOVELY!

Out of curiosity, what VST were you using? Everything I’ve tried in past years had latency and resource problems for live use.