C3 + ReaStream = a whole lot of joy

Sickness! I plan to try it just for fun.

The way I plan to use this is routing our drummer (using a Roland TD something with annoying samples) via network to an instance of Groove Agent 4 (not SE) on my Cantabile I7 machine to get some decent drum sounds from GA4. He would be going MIDI in to a LT routed via network to my C3 triggering GA4 exclusively on one (or stereo) of the 6 outputs on my UR28M. Venues have said that our band sounds great, but the drum sounds are not authentic. GA sounds great. I had him use it before, so I bought another copy of GA4 for him. He still resists using it, since he claims that it is simply too complicated to set up. (really?? A laptop, combined using an audiobox 22VSL running a standalone GA4 is too complicated?) I let him know that when he gets to my ā€œlevel,ā€ such a setup is elementary. Maybe he will be as awesome as me someday. Weā€™ll see.

@Howifeel, it sounds like a good use.
Iā€™ve just started testing MIDI only from satellite to base and Iā€™m getting some outrageously good results.
I changed my testing method as Iā€™d made an error previously.

Because the satellite is only running MIDI I set its buffer to 32 samples via the settings file (@brad, could you add the option in the gui for 16 and 32 buffers for the null driver, please?).
I removed any extra protocols on the network card (probably wasnā€™t necessary)
I disconnected other machines from the switch.

Base was set to 96 sample buffer.
On the base I used 2 instances of a mono drum sound. Sat MIDI routed to one and the audio panned left, base panned right.

About 1/3 of the time there was NO latency for a drum hit. Zero, nada, sample accurate.
The rest of the times there was 1 buffer delay, ie. for my system 96 samples@44.1k = 2.1ms

Iā€™ll redo the previous test later on.

Testing audio from a satellite was frustrating to say the least. No matter what I did (network protocols, disabling firewall, trying wormhole2ā€¦) I could not get the latency to stabilise.
It would start off at a really useful 5ms and then over a few minutes drift up and level off at 20ms.

Well, heck! THAT wasnā€™t supposed to happen!!!

I wonder what is causing the variability. I hope you get to the bottom of it (and tell us what it was!)

Terry

My desktop is long in the tooth. I have a new laptop waiting to come into service. Thatā€™ll be the machine to try again with. Iā€™m hoping that I wonā€™t have to start sniffing packets.

It was still very usable and I managed a little drone ambient live muck about.
https://soundcloud.com/cousin_itt/pad-01

1 Like

Has that nice, gurgley bubbly-ness of an FM or additive synth like Loom, Spectral or FM8. :slight_smile:

I find it hard to tame the harmonics of the upper midrange with those to keep them from becoming harsh, but when it works, it really is exciting! (Well, exciting for a pad!) :wink:

Terry

The main drone was Klevgr Pads running through Overloud TH3 with some manipulation of its Mu-Wah LFO and JC Vibrato, and liberal pitchbend.

Maybe a dynamic eq can tame those harmonics?
I need to play with FM more, but I think Iā€™m going to go the easy route for starters with the Hollow Sun FS1R collection.

1 Like

@TheVork
Do the VSTiā€™s on your second machine respond to tempo changes from the DAW on your main machine? Do their LFOā€™s still sync to the host tempo?
On the slave machine does there have to be a Cantabile software, or any DAW?

I donā€™t know, I use the vst machine as a keyboard.
So tempo changes are not an issue.

The slave machine can be absolutely anything that can run the Reastream VST.
For MIDI clocks and C3 Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™re going to have to use something like rtpMIDI.

I understand, but ReaStream also streams MIDI - so can it be used to sync 2 DAWs as well as streaming all the audio and midi data?

Also, do you have any experience how the vstā€™s in the slave machine behave in regard to tempo from master machine?

No experience yet but Iā€™ll definitely have a play very soon and report back.

I couldnā€™t get it sync via Reastream.
However it did work ok with rtpMIDI. You have to use loopMIDI ports and set them to send clocks and receive clocks respectively in the MIDI ports section of C3.
Setting up rtpMIDI is a bit of a pain but not too bad.

1 Like

Oh, ok, thanks.

The two computers have to be connected directly with the LAN cable or through the router?

I presume this doesnā€™t work with Cantabile 3 Lite (it says it doesnā€™t support MIDI Clock), but Iā€™ll try with 2 versions of Sonar. Or Sonar on the main machine and Reaper on the slave.

This thread could well be the solution Iā€™ve been searching for in regards to linking two computers together to play back video on one and the audio from that video in multichannel on the other PC.
One PC has a large screen TV connected and the other is my main DAW with an RME Fireface UFX.

Iā€™ve been using REAPER now for around a decade but have never tried ReaStream. Iā€™m going to give it a try shortly.

I finally got round to trying with a new laptop and a crossover cable.
The results were very consistent - no drift this time.

All at 44.1k stereo, host at 96 sample and remote at 64 null.
Host send audio, remote return same audio = 25ms additional latency.
Host send midi, remote return audio = ~5ms additional latency. (nice!)

I havenā€™t tried with the midi controller sending the same midi to both systems yet.

2 Likes

Nice results Neil.
You mentioned a crossover cable here so I guess that means you have this running without a router between computers. Thatā€™s something Iā€™m interested in trying.
I have a router here I was planning to use to link my computers together but I installed a network security camera a couple of weeks ago and Iā€™m using the router for that.
How easy is it to link the computers with a crossover cable? Are you running Win 10 on your rigs?

Hi Derek,
Iā€™m running Win7 on all my machines, and, yes, it was without any switch, hub or router in-between.
I have one crossover cable but it turned out, as with most switches nowadays, the ports were auto-sensing on at least one of my machines. Ie I could just use a regular network cable to connect them. So the setup was simple enough with a few quirks.
Stick the network cable in one machine and the other end in the other. Youā€™ll need to have static ips on both machines. Windows told me that there was no internet connectivity, kind of understandable as it was the only network adapter running on each machine. Windows needed a reboot to actually sort itself out which was a bit surprising.