Bypass a MIDI control plugin

Hi Brad,

I use midiChords(pizmidi) plugin to remap midi notes.
This snapshot is the setting to add one octave higher notes to original input midi signal.
C4 note on → C4, C5 note on for example.
midiChords plugin has only midi input and output port.

I supposed adding or not adding midi notes is controlled by using bypass on/off on its plugin slot in the same manner as was possible in v2.

But as a result, always notes are added regardless of the bypass on/off.

In MIDI signal, bypass mode of v3 is different from that of v2 ?

Hi @Gaap,

The bypass button in v3 is an audio bypass only and is effectively the same as setting the wet/dry mix to completely dry.

To achieve what you’re after try this:

1. Setup a route from the plugins MIDI Passthrough output port to the target (this will pass through the original C4 event)
  2. Setup a route from the plugins MIDI Out output port to the target (this will send the C5)

To suppress the plugin generated events, either turn off the second route or I think suppressing the plugin itself will still pass through on that MIDI port.

Let me know if this doesn’t cut it and we’ll work out something else.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Adding MIDI passthrough route I was able to control add/suppress C5 note.
Using either turn off the MIDI Out route or suppressing midiChords plugin, it worked without problems.

Worrisome on using this method is that C4 is transmitted redundantly when midiChords plugin is not suppressed.
I have to remove original note from midiChords setting to solve this problem.

In order to migrate my settings of v2 to v3, it seems to need some work manually.
So I will use v2 and v3 together for a while.

1 Like

It seems like the best solution here might be update the pass through button to also pass through MIDI.

I’ll think about this a bit but should be ok. Logged it here.

How about this approach:

define two routes from your keyboard: one that attaches to your MIDI plugin, another that routes directly to your synth (Kontakt). Set state behavior on both of these routes so that by switching states you can activate either one:

When you want to disable your MIDI plugin, you simply de-activate the route that leads to your MIDI plugin and activate the one that leads to Kontakt directly:

You can also de-activate your MIDI plugin in that state.

All set - no more duplicates!

C3 just requires thinking a bit differently…

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Surely there is no duplicate note in this method.

I was using the subsession(state) to switching the song with a large SetList(include all the plugins for one stage) in v2.
Both of my two keyboards has 88 keys (lower:weighted/upper:semi-weighted) and I assigned several sounds using key range filter like a palette for painting.
So I’ve rarely change the state during one song.

I have many SetList that include this type of control in v2.
Since the reading of the SetList has become faster in v3, is it better to read the SetList for each one song on stage ? And should I use “states” for change something more actively ?
Because a good opportunity, I’m going to re-consider what is the best way for live performance.

Off course, one SetList for one song is very good because I don’t have to make a large SetList for different combinations of the songs.
The problem is that time interval between songs is very short sometimes. :sweat_smile:

You don’t even need two routes - you could just set the target of one route to the chords plugin in one state and the instrument in another.

So in @Gaap 's diagram the switch can be the selected target of the MIDI route.