Bug: BIAS FX window shrunk to unusability in HiDPI mode

Looks like BIAS FX isn’t really compatible with Hi DPI mode: its window gets reduced to nothing:

Not a problem with Hi DPI disabled or “enabled & upscale plugins”, but in “enabled”, it consistently refuses to co-operate.

@brad: anything you can do to make it behave?

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi @Torsten

Thanks for reporting - I’ll check it out.

Brad

Debugged through this but I think I’ll need to work with the plugin developer to get it resolved. What seems to be happening:

1. Plugin requests window be resized
  2. Cantabile resizes the plugin window which causes…
  3. Plugin to request window be resized to half again
  4. Cantabile resizes the plugin window which causes…
  5. Plugin to request window be resized to half again
  6. You can see where this is going :slight_smile:

I tried just blocking the resize request to break the pattern and see what happened but there’s still some geometry calculation issues with the dimensions returned by the plugin.

I’ve reached out to Positive Grid and will let you know when I hear back and/or have a fix.

Brad

Great - thanx!

Interesting that this doesn’t happen in the other HiDPI modes, though…

Yeah but not surprising. I’m guessing the plugin is peeking at the current dpi mode context and tweaking its behaviour. The hidpi stuff in Windows is super confusing and really easy to do a conversion where you shouldn’t, or miss one where you should. Even more complex when the host is doing stuff and the plugin is doing stuff and there’s nothing defined by the VST spec about who does what.

I just hit this issue when I upgraded my Surface to Windows 11. I managed to resolve it by:

1. Right-click on the “Cantabile 3.0 (x64)” icon.
  2. Click “Properties”
  3. Click the “Compatibility” tab.
  4. Click the “Change high DPI settings” near the bottom.
  5. Check the “Use this setting to fix scaling problems …” box
  6. Check the “Override high DPI scaling behavior” box, then select “System”.
1 Like

@brad: has there been any development on this? Just installed the latest version (2.6) of BIAS, and still need to set Cantabile to “Enabled and upscale”, instead of “Enabled”, otherwise the window shrinks down to nothingness…

Hrm… I’ve not addressed this in anyway. Are you running the latest version of the plugin. If it’s using Juce internally (I don’t know if it is, but most plugins showing issues like this do), then there’s a good chance it’d be fixed by a fresh build of the plugin.

yes…

thr new version just came out recently with lots of marketing fanfare about re-worked models - but apparently no change to the GUI.