Browse for plugin doesn't show or load VST3 (build 4056 x64)

I noticed the Browse for plugin option under Add object -> Plugin -> More and tried using it without success.

The plugin I was trying to add also shows in the list of known plugins (under Add object -> Plugin), so maybe that’s a factor but it doesn’t seem to be why. I can successfully use the browse method to add a dll plugin, e.g. Pianoteq 7 STAGE.dll, which is also shown in the list of known plugins.

When I browse to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins it’s filtering to show .dlls, but not vst3s, which was confusing, but after changing it to show all files, I could see the VST3 plugin I wanted (NF1_editor.vst3). However, attempting to load it didn’t work - I got the error message "Value cannot by null. (Parameter “input”).

This seems like a bug. If not, I can’t see the reasoning for it behaving like this.

1. A VST3 is a plugin, so I expected to see it when I browsed to the folder containing it.

2. Loading it this way doesn’t work.

I’m using Windows 7. I do now own a PC with Windows 10, which I can set it up on to try, if that’s useful, but it’s not my main PC, so it’s a bit of a faff to do.