Binding: issue a command on state load

As ever, the obvious must be eluding me.
I wish to issue a midi command to external hardware on the loading of a specific state which is within a rack.
I figured this was a reasonable starting point:
Binding Source
I note that there is no field in the Source to actually set the state name/index, and no other offering produces a field to specify the state required as the source for the target action.
Stumped.

If this is specific to the rack, it should be easy to do as a binding within the rack:

This just as a quick example for a rack-state-dependent binding - this one doesn’t send a MIDI command, but pushes an EQ band, but the source is the same. For this binding, the “target” state behavior is active within the rack, so it can have different values for the EQ gain for every rack state.

Not sure how you could access a specific state of a rack “from the outside” - there is a binding source “On State Load” for a rack at song level, but that will fire on every state load, because it obviously can’t be rack-state-dependent. For bindings that have a specific target per rack state, these need the context of the rack, so you’ll need to create them within the rack.

1 Like

Here is an example that is probably more relevant:

This is a binding within my “VoiceLive” rack: it sends out different program changes to my VoiceLive via MIDI for every rack state. This way, I use rack states to select a program on an external hardware device.

The secret is in activating “Target” state behavior for that binding and then setting a different program change for every rack state.

Makes sense?

That was an epic brainfart from me. I had completely blanked that the action can be enabled or disabled on a per state basis and that is what provides the specific targeting.
I have done this a few thousand times… what happened? :crazy_face:
Thanks @Torsten

2 Likes

Not only enabled or disabled, but also changed completely with the “Target” state behavior…

1 Like