Behringer x air r18... or x32

I’ve found the Behringer UMC’s to have excellent low latency performance. I wonder if they use the same chip in their whole line including the Air, UCM and UCA products. Recently I bought the little UCA222 for $19 from Sweetwater - it doesn’t have features pro musicians need like balanced outs or mic pre’s but it’s way better than going out the headphone output on a device. I’m using it for jams with my E-MU XBoard 49 and Dell 11 2 in 1 i3 laptop. Needs a secret driver download I only found via a YouTuber (Behringer website points you to the generic ASIO4ALL download which I couldn’t get working)

1 Like

I have three of those and tried to use them with VSTi’s over the years but found the ASIO4All driver has too much latency. Currently I’m using a couple of budget Steinberg UR22C units recommended by a friend whose been using them live for years. They aren’t as cheap as the Behringers but not as expensive as some of those RME interfaces :hushed:

Are you guys saying there is no ASIO driver for the UMC? I have a brand new - never used UMC404. Behringer doesn’t provide the driver? Should use ASIO4ALL?

Hi Paolo,

The UMC’s have a very good driver. Again there is a bit of confusion as there are two downloads (for Windows 10 - EDIT - now 4 drivers!) on Behringer’s page for the UMC’s.

UMC202HD Software UMC Driver 2.29 (for Windows XP + Vista) 2015-10-27
UMC202HD Software UMC Driver 4.38 (for Windows 7 to 10) 2018-02-20
UMC202HD Software UMC Driver 4.59 (for Windows 7 to 10) 2019-03-14
UMC202HD Software UMC Driver 5.0 (for Windows 10) 2021-02-25
UMC202HD Software UMC Driver 5.12.0 (for Windows 10) 2021-07-06

Currently I’m using the 4.59. I started on 4.38 on Windows 10 in 2018 and then ran into some issues after a Windows 10 update (apparently was caused by the Windows update setting the audio to 16 bit 24khz but I didn’t know to look for that at the time). Instead I installed 4.59 and it’s been working well. You question prompted me to go back to their website to get the above list. Now there is a version 5.12.0 - hmmmm :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

Here is the YouTube video that explains the UCA driver that works:

The download is on the YouTuber’s (John Gage) DropBox

I submitted the 64bit driver file to VirusTotal.com and it came up completely clean on the 70 virus analyzers they submit the file to. I could put it on my Google Drive or DropBox if you like.

1 Like

Cheers man!!
I downloaded the drivers… might give it a go later and see what the latency is like compared to my Steinberg UR22C units.
I have three of the little buggers :smile:

Doug,

Thanks for your detailed and useful reply. I thought to give the UMC to my guitarist, to introduce him in the enchanted world of plugins. :thinking:

@JeffB63 I just made the jump to the X32 Compact from the XR18 and love it.

Maybe you can tell me how to set snippets in the X32 remotely. Specifically we have some effects settings (vocals reverb wash on an “airy” tune) and ideally I’d select that snippet when I select that tune in Cantabile. I’m assuming that there is some SysEx command for this, but can’t find it using the GTS method…

Any help would be appreciated.

Pat

I may have found a way to do this - One of the Reddit threads talks about sending program changes to the X32 on MIDI Channel 2 to change the snippet.

Stay tuned and I’ll provide more details later after I get a chance to try it out.

Send Program Change on Channel 1 from 0-127 to load the previously stored scene (change entire mixer) in that 0-127 memory slot on the X32. Send Program Change on Channel 2 of 0-127 to load the previously stored snippet (a smaller portion of a scene). These scenes and snippets are stored via the save function.

This blog has some nice information:

Channel 1 moves Faders, Channel 2 Mute on/of, Chanel 3 is Pan via CC. For instance, Send CH1 on CC 0 a range of 0-127 to remotely move the fader on Channel 1. Also need to enable MIDI control on the X32 in the setup tab.

1 Like