Beginners question

hi,

i´m fairly new to cantabile, so please forgive me if this Question is useless.

when i start playing, the main Keyboard is assigned to midi channel 1. During playing i would like to press a Control button on the piano, which redirects the main Keyboard to channel 2 (and so on…).

Maybe there is a mechanism to doing so, but i did not found it.

(I tried this with bindings and this works - from the cantabile side. But Halion Sonic, the vst i use has a bug(?), when i solo one channel. Instead of solo only the desired channel, i have now solo two channels (and so on).
This is a Topic for the steinberg-Forum, i know. But changing the Midi-Channel would also do the Job).

Thx,
Werner

Hi Werner, there are far more experienced people than I on this forum, but you could try using song states, as follows:

• Under Input Ports, click on Omni. At the top of the dialog, under Target Channel, select 1 instead of Same (which is the default). This means that only midi input from midi channel from your VST 1 is filtered through.
  • Under Input Ports, copy the settings for your keyboard, and then, for this new instance, click on Omni. At the top of the dialog, under Target Channel, select 2 instead of 1. This means that foor this instance of your keyboard, only midi input from midi channel 2 from your VST is filtered through.
  • Now disable the second keyboard instance (with channel 2 selected).

Now it’s time to create two song states:

• Click on the States tab, and then click New State
  • Press Ctrl-S to save the song state. You will be prompted for a state name. In my example, I have named it Ch1.
  • Now, on the States tab, then click on New State once again. Press Ctrl-S again to save the song state. You will be prompted for a state name. In my example, I have named it Ch2.
  • Make sure you have the second state selected. Disable the first keyboard instance (for channel 1) and enable the second state (for channel 2).

You now have two song states, one allowing midi data from channel 1 get through, and the other allowing midi data from channel 2 get through. So it’s simply a question of switching between the states.

Thank you for answer. So far, i have no experience with States because i only own the “Solo”-Cantabile. There are no States. But if there will be no other solution, i tend to upgrade.

(There would be propably a solution by setting up the piano - but then i have to work with three different Systems for one simpel Setup and i plan to use cantabile on more than one Keyboard. So this would not be preferred).

Thank you very much,
Werner