Bagpipe vsts - anyone?

Hi all,
one of my groups would need some realistic bagpipe sounds, and after searching online, I was not able to find a good one… so I am asking here for some advice :grinning:

• can you recommend any “realistic” vst for bagpipe sounds?
  • any clever trick and/or licks/fingering that may help in playing it?

Thanks to anyone will be so kind to share some wisdom!
Luigi

I have this one:

(quilcom bagpipe - Google Search)

Still haven’t used it much (no vst3).

1 Like

Sometimes I work in the evening at a local church. There’s a big common space adjacent to the offices and once in a while a local bagpipe group practices there. They are louder than my rock band :grinning:

I downloaded and tested the Quilcom-SIM-BP because we’re playing Under the Milky Way by The Church which happens to have bagpipes in the bridge. I’ll have our keyboard player try it next practice.

Thanks! This one sounds very promising, also the automatic ghost notes are a very useful addon

I use this one.

http://soundbytes.de/BagPipes/

1 Like

Whilst not bag pipes (the instrument of the devil in my opinion, along with the accordion), I have the following which is really good for Uilleann Pipes.

2 Likes

I remember watching one Friday a couple years ago when Brian of AudioPlugin Deals did a livestream and demonstrated Dicky Deegan’s Uilleann Pipes. Then I remembered I have $50 in “Rewards” with them, so I just bought it for $15 which I think is well worth it.

1 Like

There is one called Universal Piper, it sounded OK when i last tried it, It’s an old one now. with some reverb it comes alive. It has several different types.

1 Like

:smiley:

3 Likes

Bravo… :clap:

Ah, they don’t make them like the used to. :slight_smile:

Goodie, Goodie, yum yum.

Actually shows what I hate about the bag pipes, that 'orrible drone, and the pipes themselves are a little too shrill for my ears, so like the Goodies, I would shoot them :slight_smile: , but Uilleann Pipes now and their wistful melancholy…

Sorry to take it off topic a little, but I have to let as many people as possible know about one of the best Gaelic bands out there - Capercaille. I mostly listen to Caillie music mostly when cooking supper (strange but true) - with its foot tapping highs and moods like this, after a hard day in work it really decompresses me.

Back on topic, hopefully you have enough recommendations for your bag pipes, have had a laugh with The Goodies, and heard some of the most haunting music ever.

5 Likes

Ah yes :laughing: i love how an innocent question on bagpipes turned into an interesting journey!

Thanks to everyone, time to go and test some vsts :headphones:

4 Likes

Ten years ago I went on the only cruise I’ve ever been on. It started in Istanbul and as we departed I noticed kilt wearing individuals onboard. There was an announcement that at dusk as we cruised through the Dardenelles past the battle sites of Gallipoli that ANZAC pipers would be holding a ceremony on the top deck. It was one of those musical experiences you never forget.

1 Like

Studio Piper for Best Service Engine (Magix) is old but good imo. Includes Border, Highland, Small, Uilleann Pipes.

When I bought it they included both versions, the one tailored for Technopipes midi controller and the one with chromatic scale. Looks like those are separate products now…

I also had Universal Piper, but lost it when I migrated machine and they didn’t respond to my request for assistance with getting the license moved across…

1 Like

Spitfire Audio has a Uilleann pipes soundset as part of their Free LABS collections.
https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/uilleann-pipes

4 Likes

Hi Grant,

Thanks for heads up on Labs Uilleann pipes addition - haven’t been into the Spitfire Audio application for a while.

Welcome to the forum!

Doug

As an Edinburgher I recognise the photo of Princes Street Gardens. I too have been using the Uillean pipes as a substitute for bagpipes for many years.

1 Like

At the risk of angering the forum-gods (lower case there :slight_smile: ), even if you don’t like bagpipes, you’ve got to:
a. Admit this is pretty entertaining
b. Love the name of the band

Red Hot Chili Pipers - Thunderstruck

2 Likes