Background Rack Midi In Access

I play keys and guitar live and am using Cantabile 3 Performer. I use Songs and states to control the many different keyboard sounds. For guitar, I use the FCB1010 foot midi controller driving Guitar Rig 5. Most of the time I’m using a standard set of guitar sounds across songs so rather than have a guitar rig rack in each song (a little less to do on song switching), I have put GR in the background rack. I use song load and unload to send program change info for specialty GR sounds to the background rack (also program number modification so i can always use the first 5 program switches on the foot controller). To do this I have to send midi control info from my keyboard rack to the background rack. Unfortunately, the background midi rack isn’t visible on the midi routing. To get around this I’m using a third party midi virtual port (LoopBe). While it works, it just feels a little messy that I’m going outside of Cantabile. Any chance of opening up the background rack midi access? I know you are not overly busy Brad (cough!).

Hi!

At first I ask why don’t you use a linked rack and work the convenient way? Why do you want to use the background rack? I think you would have better oversight when working with “normal” song-files.

Anyway: Yes. It is possible. You have to use the loopback ports. See this article:

You have to activate those in your Cantabile-Settings. I think it’s under “Misc.”

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll do that. For the most part the Guitar Rig rack operates independently of songs. Its only the odd occasion I will have song specific guitar sounds. It started getting messy adding having teh guitar rack in each song.

@AlanMHughes

I use a linked guitar rack in any of the songs I play guitar in. I use different states within that linked guitar rack for different setups in different songs. I use my foot pedal as I would on a guitar foot pedal to activate or deactivate effects within that setting. I use the same rack for all my guitar related sims and effects. Very simple, and is way much better than a different rack for every song. Guitar in Background rack? No. Not in my setup.

This is what I meant by saying “the convenient way” :wink: I’d do it like this too.

LOL! That is the ONLY way…Right?

As always with Cantabile: No, it’s not! :wink:

1 Like