Auto subscribe to threads I post in

On most forums there is an option to automatically subscribe to (“watch”) any thread I post in. For some reason, maybe for legal reasons, it never seems to be the default, but it’s there. On this forum, it isn’t an option, as far as I can see. There’s only:

“Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic”

That’s not the same thing because if someone posts a reply which was meant for me but doesn’t use the Reply button on my post or refer to me by @username (as happened earlier today), then I don’t get an email notification unless I’ve thought to manually choose to watch the thread.

I always get an email notification if someone replies.

1 Like

I don’t. I always get one if someone replies directly to me, but otherwise it’s inconsistent… or possibly never works any more.

At the time I posted that I had had a reply that was meant for me, in a thread, in the form of a reply to that thread but not addressed directly to me (e.g. by using the reply button on my post or using @name), but I didn’t receive an email notification of it.

The wording of the setting makes no promise that it will notify us if someone replies to the thread but not to us, directly. After that, I manually subscribed to the thread (“watched”, IIRC), and got replies from then on.