AUTO-FADE ⇅ for Cantabile 4

Hi All,

Due to changes in the new version of Cantabile I re-worked the fader rack for version 4. Other new additions to Cantabile led to new features being added. The zip file included here has the Rack, a test song, the custom controller bar file and a pdf manual. The following video is a walk through of the rack and it’s function. Get a snack, it’s a bit long. :slight_smile:

AUTO-FADE ⇅for Cantabile 4.zip (215.3 KB)

Cheers,

Dave

6 Likes

Perfect demo. I’ll try it soon

1 Like

Great demo @dave_dore! Also very impressive coding/configuration/implementation!
I think I can learn a lot just from closer examination of your rack.

I’m wondering where/when you use the auto-fade? In our live playing we never fade out a song, but we’re a classic rock cover band. I imagine it depends on the style of music you’re playing?

Thank you - David

1 Like

Hi David, thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

I use the fader for my rig more all the time now that I have stabilized it some. I primarily use it to smoothly transition from one sound to another without executing a state change. I play the bass with my left hand and all other key/synth sounds with my right hand. As a result I only have my feet and my right hand available to switch things. I started out using my expression pedal to do the morph from one sound to another while in the same state. This was good but I found that sometimes I wanted to morph to other sounds without a state change so I used a standard pedal to trigger the fader and used cross fade bindings to achieve it. I can just hit the pedal and keep playing while it does the cross fade. I also use it for solo boosting. In this case I set up the expression pedal to work normally during the body of the song but when the solo comes I use the fader to perform a 3 or 6 db boost during the solo and reduce it after done to the original level all while still having control over the expression pedal. On Nights in White Satin I fade out the orchestra intro while playing and fading in the bass and string intro. I also do a full mixer fade out on one of our originals that ends in a jam of sorts and a fade in on a song where the drums guitar and my keys all start playing the groove and fade in together playing in time before the singer begins. I rigged a hot key on the keyboard that triggers the rack to control a filter sweep on one of my synth VSTis that I can trigger at the appropriate time and then manually override the fader rack when I want using the other expression pedal mode I made … (Frankenstein!!). I am also using it to smooth the expression fades up and down (I explain it in the video) using the mode I built in it for that. In general when I found a situation that came up I made a mod on the rack to address it. So I hope that answers your question. I know it’s not for everyone but I am finding use for it a lot.

Dave

5 Likes

Hi All,

I found that using Cantabile Triggers for my looped MIDI event generator could be interrupted by other triggers being invoked while it was running. This prevented having more than one of these racks in the same song working at the same time. So I changed the loop generator to using a standard MIDI CC messages instead of the Cantabile triggers. This was immune to interruption from my tests and it also allowed for more than one of these type of fader racks to operate at the same time in the same song. This was something I did need on a few songs I do so it was a good development in that respect. I re-uploaded the zip file with the new rack file. If anyone needs a second rack let me know, they require a few edits if you wish to make duplicates that I can explain.

Cheers,

Dave