Anyone using IKM Syntronik?

But why? Could you go more into detail? What do you use instead?

It’s a matter of personal experiences over >3 decades of using electronic instruments.
The hardware instruments of the 70s/80s had all their pros and cons but there always was this “wow” factor if you play such an instrument. The parameters were limited but nearly every settings led to interesting sound variations.
With the advent of workstation (and sampled instruments) the “wow” factor has gone. The only thing you could do was to try your best to come near to result of the instruments that should be emulated.
My experiences come from praticing with these sampled instruments. If you play it for a short time and try out some presets or change paramters and listen to the results there are instruments that sound impressive at first. When you practice longer with one sound of the instrument the brain gets tired very fast.
I found myself practicing longer without being tired when I play Pianoteq instead of a sampled piano. With natural instruments the effect may be stronger as with synthesizers but even in the latter case not all of the slight imperfections of the instrument that make the sound come to life can be implemented.
In addition with modeled instruments (even if they are not a perfect model) I have more opportunities to change the sound to my likings and I don’t have to load GBs of samples.
This may all be very subjective and other may have different experiences but it is like it is and I’m too old to change my opinion with every new techniques that will come around.

I use modeled pianos, epianos, organs and for synths in most cases u-he.

1 Like

In live performance, it really is the best approach. I shy away from samples as much as I can. Makes for a leaner, faster setup.

I was really disappointed when Syntronik came out. I preordered it based on my experience with MODO Bass (which is excellent, modeled instead of samples) and thought Syntronik would be similar. It isn’t. Just a lot of samples and some filters. The UIs for each “synth” is just a different skin and layout to mimic the look of the classic but all the controls from one to the other are exactly the same. In short, I never use it. Arturia is worlds ahead, more flexible, better sounding.

1 Like