Another Big Decision Coming.......Win 11

Curious. What issues does TPM cause? All my computers are too old for win 11, but one is TPM eligible…

What a good idea! I hadn’t thought of that. :grinning:

We had an ongoing issue where people using Microsoft Outlook would get prompted all day long for their email password. We eventually figured out disabling TPM solved the issue.

1 Like

Will Cantabile work under Windows 11?. Will buy a new laptop in the next weeks and I am curious if somebody already has an experience with Windows 11 and Cantabile and VST’s

Thanks in advance

Ad

From everything I’ve read, it seems to be about the same for audio production (nothing new), but it is very invasive on privacy issues. Several companies, such as Steinberg, have yet to start the process of upgrading to 11. Most comments I’ve seen is to wait it out for at least a year, as it is buggy, just like all new versions of Windows have been in the past (the true consistency of Microsoft).
Personally, I would check out all the VST developers you use before making the jump. I didn’t switch to 10 until a year ago, but my Win7 is still running fine.

3 Likes

I just RDP from my studio desk into another machine for stuff that isn’t A/V related. That way I can use my usual desk without any risk of messing up the A/V boxes. Makes for a good way to delve into W11 without affecting the A/V boxes until its safe to do so. Plus makes for a nice security layer.

2 Likes

My philosophy on OS changes, like Corky’s, is to let other users have the problems, and wait about a year after a major version release, and once all music vendors for the products you use have confirmed compatibility. As long as an OS is in support for security releases then there is no real reason to change quickly.

2 Likes

Yep same here, I didn’t upgrade to Windows 10 till 2019 and I’ll wait a long time before I jump to 11. I invested a lot of time tweaking Windows 10 to run Audio, I can’t imagine having go through that whole process again any time soon.

1 Like

Just a quick note… I haven’t tested Cantabile on Windows 11 since I don’t actually have a machine here capable of running it. Not sure whether to upgrade my main dev desktop machine or go for a new laptop - both are overdue for replacement. Just ordered parts to upgrade dev machine.

In any case, it’s on my todo list and I’ll get to it soon.

1 Like

I upgraded my laptops to Windows 11 - don’t judge me, as I do not play music for a living, only a semi-serious hobby, and I have other interests that make me one of those people who want to stay on top of current trends.

In any case, the transition was seamless, except for having to re-register my Cantabile license - a very minor annoyance. I found the laptop to be more responsive after the upgrade, although that might be attributed to having a “clean” machine. Bottom line (for me!): I like the upgrade, and it caused no problems.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, so don’t take this as an endorsement that everyone should rush to upgrade…

3 Likes

Microsoft will continue releasing (security) updates until October 2025. That should give us time to sort things out. :thinking:

2 Likes

My desktop machine is too old for win11, fine by me until it breaks (and I think it might over the next year or sooner, been a few flaky starts) I keep multiple backups but still accept I will lose some stuff when it dies.
Anyway, I am getting a Surface Go and that will be win 11 (still need to check one ultrasonic mic for bats and insects to see if it will be compatible). Then Im taking my desktop off the net other than for non OS software updates. Workflow thing as much as anything else but win10 has always been great for me and as I’m going off net and not changing hardware I really dont need to worry about win10 updates and support

My point here being - it might be cheaper and less hassle to get something like a Surface go 2 or 3 on Black Friday for your online stuff and take your main machine offline rather than worry about win11 incompatibilities

So Cantabile is running fine? That’s reassuring.

1 Like

Just thought this might aid …

Cheers,

Dave

4 Likes

I guess I’ll take the chance and upgrade to W11 within a week or so, and will be happy to perform specific tests if there is anything in particular that should be looked at. Just let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

2 Likes

After creating a full recoverable backup, I updated my Ryzen 7 backup laptop to Win11. So far, everything C3 seems to be working just fine, all plugins and utilities. Don’t forget to deauthorize C3 and anything that requires device licensing, because the upgrade will make it appear to be a different PC. I still have my primary laptop on Win10.

1 Like

Thanks for the info… pleased it seems to be working, but please report any issues that do crop up.

fwiw: the parts to upgrade my dev machine so I can run Win11 have arrived but I don’t want break stride on the work I’m doing so they’re still just sitting in the corner for now…

4 Likes

In the FWIW department, I usually just buy another SSD and clone it to the existing one, then pull the original and pop in the new to do an OS version upgrade. If things don’t go as planned just pop the original in and it’s good to go, zero hassles. And if things go well, I can always find a use for the extra SSD.

5 Likes

Just upgraded to Win11 on an Intel i5, no issues on Cantabile so far.

Still a few plugins where I need to upgrade license info.

1 Like

Downloaded the Win11 Health tool to check my dinosaurs out for compatibility and the main hangup is hardware related to my motherboards. One failure was Security/Hardware related and the other was no TPM 2.0 support. Both would require a motherboard upgrade. The Win 10 platform is supported till 2025 according to the MS site info.

Dave