Another Big Decision Coming.......Win 11

Second time lucky for me. Looks good so far.

TBH I only upgraded my backup laptop since I was having trouble with it anyway. So far Win11 seems to have effected a cure and it actually seems more spritely.

I will report back with more details when I have given it sufficient time to make an opinion.

1 Like

Installed on my production Cantabile machine yesterday. My soundcard stopped working (Steinberg UR22MKII) and that took disconnecting it, getting Windows audio to work, reconnect it and that was it. Took about 5 minutes of fiddling post install.

Apart from visual changes the system behaves same as before. Certainly not slower.

1 Like

Since Windows 11 is just 21H2, I didn’t expect any radical changes.
I also upgraded, didn’t see any hiccups so far.

1 Like

Hi JCollins

Welcome to the Cantabile forum. Thanks for your input.

Regards

Corky

1 Like

The Cynic within me wonders if Wndows 10 will start to slow down and become really cymbersome as though it is full of bloatware. I remember all the other versions of Windows did this within a few months of the latest version being announced. We were supposed to think that the old version of Windows was somehow worn out and needed replacing with the latest version!

I think Windows 10 runs better after you remove the bloatware:

2 Likes

Ah, anything similar for Windows 11?

I believe that although the Win11 app store itself is less restricted it’s mostly the same as it was in Windows 10. Most likely a Win10 PowerShell script that removes UWP apps in Windows 10 will perform the same tasks in Windows 11. Microsoft has eliminated some of them already such as OneNote, Wallet, 3DViewer and a few others.

I’d never run those automatic scripts. I suggest that you everything configure/remove/tweak manually.

I use the free version of Revo Uninstaller to remove Windows bloatware.

Hi everyone.
For about a month my laptop has been asking me when I switch it on to upgrade from win10 to win11 and not whether to definitively refuse the upgrade.
Question: but how necessary and useful is it?
Not so much to update the various licenses (a little too), but the fact of having to change my win7 desktop that I am fond of and that I have also kept on the current win10.
And then to me windows 10 works quite well, as far as I know, upgrades for windows 10 expire in 2025, so there is still time for a possible switch.
Then I think I understand that there are still a lot of bugs and that it takes time to get a clean version.
Am I wrong or am I prehistoric?
Regards
Sergio

I can only say that I’ve had very little in the way of problems with Win 11. I yet again had to sort out the Korg driver, due to its insistance on Korg devices being in the first 10 USB device slots (sigh…), but other than that it’s been a doddle.

I instantly effected a cure for the ridiculous right-click ‘more options…’ nonsense. How anyone at Microsoft believed that was a good idea is totally beyond my comprehension.

1 Like

I would stay with Windows 10 as long as you like. I see Win11 as a typical Win10 feature update but with more GUI “improvements” and more existing features removed than usual. I don’t mind using Win11 because I’m used to adjusting to OS changes but I haven’t updated any of my computers.

… it seemed strange to me that the mouse had not been touched …
Microsoft looks like a Simple Business Complication Office …
Wat significant news are there now with the mouse?

Sorry, the translation that the translator has provided is certainly not correct. I explain it like this: “Microsoft is the office to complicate simple things”…

I waited until a week ago and agree with all the options. It’s a fresh coat of paint on Windows 10. I don’t like the simplification, but there are alternatives ways to get around it. That includes the start menu which I replaced with Start11.

Everything works fine for my all my multimedia applications. Take the plunge and revert back within 10 days if your not happy.

1 Like

I have no problems with W11. All the drivers and programs are working fine. That I really hate is this new awful start menu. Start11 seems (now) a good deal.
I upgraded three of my W10 PC via Windows Update (Work desktop & laptop and media center).
Different matter for the music PC, because a clean install is required, and I’m too lazy to:

• Backup the Win 10 install.
  • Fresh Win 11 install.
  • Deep tuning.
  • Install DAWs, tons of VSTs, libraries, etc. The boring work! :yawning_face:
  • Thorough testing.

At my usual speed, it will take one month per PC. So I’ll stay with Win 10 and upgrade to 11 veeery slooowly.

1 Like

LOL, at least you can upgrade. My primary DAW is an ancient Xeon W3680 hex core server I repurposed from back in my energy software business days. It still packs a decent punch but no Win 11 for it (at least supported by M$).

Same for all of my HP G810 laptops…only have TPM 1.2 and not upgradeable…

2 Likes

Does that apply to any pc used for music?

I changed my laptop about 3 or 4 months ago and had a load of hassle getting everything to work on the new unit, except for Cubase which simply refused and then revoked all my licences and wouldn’t let me have them back. So I revoked Cubase. Also I struggled to get my Yamaha MX61 to be recognised by the laptop, and even now Presonus Studio One doesn’t recognise it as a destination.

Dare I make the change? I am rather wary right now!

Hi David,

My first test on W11 music PC was promising. Currently, I’m working with Cantabile, Reaper and Cubase, with a few plugins. Didn’t detect problems at all with either hardware drivers nor programs.
So, upgrade or not? According all guidelines and Brad’s advice, don’t upgrade via Windows Update over a Win10 existing install. Use a clean install, instead.
My PCs are on Win10 just because I’m too lazy to reinstall tons of stuff.
But, technically speaking, W11 seems to work well, even for music apps. My plan is to upgrade the studio PC, which is less critical, then the two laptops for live.
About your problems with Cubase licensing, I have no hints. I keep the license on the e-licenser key, and I had no troubles dealing with Steinberg and other e-licenser protected VSTs last time I replaced hardware.

Recap: W11 is suitable to run only-for-music PCs. Anyway, the most important thing I seek is the system stability. Win10 is rock solid, it’s supported till 2025, so I’m not in a hurry.