AmpliTube 5 Error

Download this utility.
Unzip on desktop.
Right click on the “pciutils-3.5.5-win64” folder and Open Elevated (or Admin) Command Prompt
Type lspci
You will see a devices list, look at VGA device(s) you have.

Search Google about opengl 2 compatibility of the device you are using (the whole brand and model, like as I highlighted).
Video adapter may be two when in the PC there are both integrated CPU video adapter, and discrete adapter.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

I will give it a shot…thanks. I just ran Guitar Rig 6 on my 8 yr old Win 7 machine without a problem. Go figure.

Hi Corky,

Sorry you’re having hassles. The only thing I can add to the rest of the discussion is the C♪3 settings regarding Open GL and high res in Tools>Options>General>User Interface. I assume you tried the various options there but if another host is having grief too it leads me to blame the plugins.

SnapShot 15198

Especially if the rest of your GUI’s work right. I also thought of something I have done that got me out of these type troubles before and it involved a System restore to a date earlier when things did work. Before that you could also try older known workable versions of Cantabile. This is also something that should be probably brought up with Brad in case it is the new plugins you installed or some GUI kit issue not yet seen. If I can think of anything else I’ll chime in …

Regards,

Dave

@cpaolo
I tried your suggestion, but had difficulties running the program. Thanks for the help though.

@dave_dore
Dave, I tried all the C3 settings, but nothing changed. I bought 2 refurbs in April, with larger RAM and ssd drives, hoping to expand my library and retire my tired Win7 machine. When I received them, I updated Win 10, and never put them back on the internet again. They are fast and efficient, and I am really enjoying them.
I’ve had no problems until Amplitube 5. I’ve read damn near every thread related to 5s problems, and didn’t load it until 5.01 came out. I cautiously decided to update Win 10, especially the current net framework. Since I upgraded, Microsoft decided to add a few extra things that has changed the performance. Of, course, in upgrading, I had to re-authorize several plugins, and apps. I may revert back when I get my second wind, just to normalize things. So, basically, I had no earlier date to revert to.

I also tried updating C3 (finally) to latest stable version…no change, so I was on an older version anyway. The reason I suspect OpenGL is because Guitar Rig 6 and Amplitube 5 requires it.

I do appreciate the help, but it seems I am the only one having this problem. Last night, I searched for a newer driver for my graphics card, to no avail. I may just have to live with it, which makes it difficult at best.
Thanks again for the help guys.

Regards

Corky

Well from what you indicate A 5 is the only app having this problem, correct? If so it is indeed an oddity, it makes ask if the graphics card from a strange brand? Also, I’m curious what is under the hood on the refurb in question as far as the motherboard and Graphics card? You never know it might help me figure it out some more. If you have another computer with a different graphics card you could do a swap out to see if the hardware card is indeed the rub. By the way does A 5 work properly in a DAW on any of your rigs at home or is it a bad boy everywhere?

A5 and Guitar Rig runs fine on my Win 7 laptop. The problem is on my refurb Win 10 laptop. They will not run properly in Reaper, or another vst host on the Win 10.
Win10 specs:
Intel Core i5-5300 CPU @ 2.30GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5500 Card…I assume built onto the chip.

Haven’t tried an A5 reinstall yet, but will today.

I’ve tried changing resolution and DPI, per IK ticket response. No go.

It’s not a very user friendly program, I admit. Another solution might be CPU-Z, a GUI based program for system information (like motherboard and graphics card, as Dave asked for).
In the About tab you can save a report as text file and post here, or send to Brad. Meantime, I will seek for info about the HD5500

I agree…it is not. Got some great tones out of it a few days ago. I will try cpu-z and get back. My other refurb is a desktop, and haven’t tried an install on it, but will attempt it today, just to see. Strange that my Win7 runs it just fine.

According ark.intel HD5500 page, OpenGL is supported up to version 4.3 (released in 2012). The latest version is the 4.6 (released in 2017). I don’t know if this can be the reason of your troubles. I found few hints here.
Try to open a ticket for support from IK and N.I.
I had a big GUI trouble on my old desktop workstation when Omnisphere upgraded to 2.5. I never found any workaround, so i dismissed that PC (first generation i5 with nVidia Quadro FXsomething Graphics)

Here is the text file from cpu-z:
Click the link

I was thinking to remove the driver and replace with an Intel driver, if I am not using one after my Windows update. I tried the IK ticket response (above), and it didn’t work. I really am not concerned about Guitar Rig, as I doubt that I would ever use it.

Thanks for the info @cpaolo

I noticed the BIOS is quite old, while the Windows version 1904 is fine, even better than most recent 1909 and 20H1. Microsoft removed some features in the power management, on these latest releases.

Thanks Paolo! I will need to re-do my power mgmt then. Do I need to address the Bios?

Something I’ve discovered…on the stand-alone A5, I maximized the window, and it started working somewhat normally. At least the mouse click will highlight parameters properly. I then went to C3, and set “other window setting” to 80%. It is now reacting as the stand-alone…still many glitches but I can navigate now. It seems A5 demands a full scale window to work on my laptop. Of course, it is a strain on the eyes now, lol.

Good news at last. Hope that you use the Windows display scaling at 125% working with laptop display. Supposing the scaling does not affect the video glitches… At home, I hate working with laptop display, keyboard and trackpad, so a mouse, full size keyboard and 24" display are in my standard setup.
Bios always give me a headache. Update or not is not an easy question. All IT guidelines say yes, personal experience a bit less. I have seen there are a bunch of BIOS updates for Elitebook 840G2, starting 2015, ending 2020. I read the changelog of all these updates, and now my sore head is pulsing like a 0.5Hz LFO. :upside_down_face:
According HP, your current 01.08 BIOS is the first supporting Windows 10, so (if the PC were mine), I’d update to the latest, no any doubt. Here the download link to hp support. Sorry if I’m vague, having never played with the same PC you bought, I only tell general-purpose hints.

1 Like

According to Intel, I have the latest graphics driver, so I am done with that. I decided I didn’t want to mess with the Bios…been there, done that, bought the t-shirt…not unless I have to. In the mean time, I am setting up an Amplitube 5 rack, and it is working properly. I even created my own setup, though it was tedious. Apparently IK is still receiving complaints from black screens to crashes on A5. Perhaps I will be good after a few updates. Until then, I will do a C3 workaround. :grin:
Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Corky

P.S. went to 130% scaling…seems to be slightly more tame, and my old eyes are happy.

2 Likes