Amazing new plug-in Unify

Hi Terry,

I’m spending more time with Unify. I downloaded the free patch libraries from the Pluginguru website. I also downloaded the Serum demo from Xfer, seems like the way to go if you aren’t going to dive into Omnisphere.

I also registered at the Pluginguru forum.

BTW, I was on your Bandcamp page - I really liked “Phoebe - Guest from Deep Space” from Saturn (VE-44). Did you improvise that during the livestream?

Doug

1 Like

Got to admit. I really don’t understand what Unify is?! The web page has left me no wiser.

I have a feeling I’ve asked this before, but… what can it do that I can’t do now?

Can I ask, how many computers can you install Unify on?
Thanks.

I’ve installed it on 2 computers so far

Agree that Cantabile racks, bindings, triggers and midi capabilities are similar to some aspects of Unify. My thinking when I bought it was that it was like buying a very good patch library for several synths I have plus a standardized GUI for creating further patches. You also get the expertise of John “Skippy” Lehmkuhl through just studying what comes with the base Unify plus his livestreams. The latest update has a feature that lets you ride cc controls with stepped or custom curves.

2 Likes

Yes, that was improvised during the livestream “Vastly Experimental Episode 44” as were the other Saturn-moon named ones.

Terry

1 Like

There are quite a few things that Unify brings to the table that are great additions to Cantabile.

Many, many synths that we all enjoy or covet have their entire default patches available from a simple listing. We all are familiar with how Cantabile has trouble showing a plugin’s patches in the drop-down automatically these days. Unify has many forum members who have done the work for you, letting you test tons of the patches in your plugins and how they will layer with other patches in same or other plugins effortlessly.

He (Skippy) and some other genius patch developers also create deep patch libraries for Unify, some for free, and others for purchase.

The interface is intended to be a “sound designers dream toolkit” and was developed by Shane Dunne from Skippy’s wish lists, and since Skippy has over 30 years in developing patches for rather famous synths (especially Korg ones, like M1 and Wavestation, etc.) his wish list was extensive!

The “Guru Sampler” is a sample playback engine that is integrated into the interface with many capabilities, like changing the sample start position, and many other tools for octave and tunings, etc. It is worth downloading the demo just to look at that!

It comes bundled with several popular free synths, and a nice array of reverbs and special midi effect tools.

It is incredibly simple to assign parameters from SEVERAL synth or effect plugins to a single knob, and he gives us 24 knobs to play with, including a library of curves one can use to trigger the parameters with. All knobs can be assigned CC numbers to remote-control them, or use the new CC Rider fancy LFO to control those knobs. (You can have a ton of CC Riders running at the same time affecting different knobs.)

That is a good overview to get started. I use typically two instances of Unify in a Cantabile setup these days.

Terry

1 Like

Thanks guys.

It’s not for me.

3 Likes

Must confess, I gave Unify a try in demo mode, and it just seemed to add a layer of complexity that I did not think I needed.

5 Likes

Unify itself is $59 on Friday - They said they are traditionalists, so sale is only on actual Black Friday :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t know how you were using it, but I just click a patch and play it.

I rarely feel the impetus to fool with the knobs, but sometimes what they do is remarkable enough for me to hook it to an expression pedal or mod wheel.

Terry

1 Like

Yeah, in my DAW, every track is based on Unify. I’ve got all my favorite patches there (think, racks). And in Cantabile I use Unify as well; when you have one place that has all your favorites across so many synths it makes the creative process quicker and easier. I’m spending less time looking for that sound. Plus, John’s incredible sound design leads to many native Unify libraries that are excellent. Unify is definitely underpriced, and by far the best plugin I have, hands down.

A Cantabile ‘Linked Rack’ keeps all your favourite patches and makes them available across all songs.

I can see there’s enthusiasm for Unify, and that’s fine, but it really doesn’t do anything you can’t already do in Cantabile alone.

Yes it does. You may as well stop saying that. What, do you think, that I’m a newbie to Cantabile? :sunglasses:

Terry

1 Like

Alright mister - then prove it with an excellent video :wink:

1 Like

I’m keen to learn! :smile:

2 Likes

Children please behave!
Don’t make me come in there!
:face_with_monocle: :wink:

4 Likes

You might have not read my posts earlier in this thread. I outline many ways that Unify is helpful far beyond Cantabile. It’s not a replacement for Cantabile. Imagine if you could use Cantabile racks everywhere. In your DAW, standalone, in any other apps. That’s just one use for Unify.

You can use Unify to “tame” single-threaded, CPU-hogging VSTs like Omnisphere, effectively making an Omnisphere-based patch multi-threaded and fully playable without glitching. I also detail this (and provide a video demo link) further up in this thread.

It’s totally fine if you don’t find value in it. But most of the information is here in this thread already if you’re interested and on the Unify (PluginGuru) YouTube channel (John does live streaming every week, demoing it, new features, and also has a ton of videos directly explaining other features).

1 Like

I just knew that was coming… I’ve already begun outlining one called, “Why bother with Unify if I own Cantabile Pro?” :slight_smile:

Terry

3 Likes

Another unique thing possible in Unify is that you can make ANY monophonic synth into a polyphonic one. (Using layers and PolyBox)

2 Likes