Amazing new plug-in Unify

Wow, let’s calm down with the overstatements! We are doomed if every disagreement involves insanity :slight_smile:
I’m just stating this does not fit my philosophy and workflow. The people I work with do not fit your description.

While we’re at it, I’m not the only one noticing the hyperbolic, conceited marketing of Unify. I preemptively respect the work done here, but they are not building trust with this approach.

EDIT: some brainfart, sorry Ade :stuck_out_tongue:

???

???

Derek -confused?
I thought I was being clear.

1. We’ve discussed this topic for some time. I’ve either originated or responded enthusiastically to the proposal for a Cantabile plugin.
  2. I agree with Toto’s EDIT that there may have been some flatulence in the brain area. :joy:It’s a big claim to trot out 'Any sane sound engineer ’ on a forum which represents a fair amount of industry experience. I guess owning up to insanity was the only response I could logically make when he posted that.

The moment our conversations are removed from Cantabile’s development and enter an arena where discussing a point requires one to demonstrate one is not insane, something we’ve taken for granted on this forum is eroded.

On the other hand…I believe I have well demonstrated my certain insanity on many occasions, such as this off topic statement I am making now. :crazy_face: :joy:

1 Like

No worries, perhaps it makes no sense to me as there is no context in the posts without re-reading the whole thread. Or I am nuts as well…

I’m guilty of insanity as well then and I really misunderstood Ade’s comments at first, again, my apologies :slight_smile:

Thank you for the clarification and if I understand you correctly @Ade, you believe the missing “work as a VST” feature from Cantabile is a threat to its longevity. And I now get it you expressed this already in the past.

I guess this happens for every differentiating feature from a concurrent product, be it Work as a VST, graphics widget, scripting, VST3 hosting, Windows/Mac compatibility, price, sounds/vst bundling, patch browsing, specific hardware integration, etc.
C3’s Trello address some of those issues and I find Brad’s approach of letting us know what is important for us exciting and unique. Him allowing the community to discuss this very subject shows some confidence I have not seen with other products. This is, for me, one of the biggest advantage of Cantabile, above all features we can imagine at this very moment.

Yes it was and I’m sorry I showed some arrogance here.

In all my studio experiences which involve playing, from “here is what you need to play” to “we have no idea, just play and we will see what comes out”, it always end like this: “That was interesting, now kill that reverb and split the layers and we will produce something” (I may or may not be involved in this last step).
Edit: rarely, but sometimes for keys I also have “That was interesting, I will capture the midi from this”, which is even more radical.

This is obviously anecdotal but in my experience, it never fails. We go with St Exupery saying that perfection is achieved, not when nothing needs to be added anymore, but when nothing needs to be removed anymore.

Now I’m guilty of total thread hijacking again… I have been taught by some masters here. You know who you are :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Toto, are you meaning to refer to Unify? John is a pretty humble guy and doesn’t have much at all for marketing of this product. He does a weekly YouTube stream helping folks out with all kinds of plugins, synths, tips and tricks, and now of course added in how to use Unify. I’ve watched a bunch of them, learned some cool things I can use in my keyboarding. But I’ve not seen any hyperbolic nor conceited marketing. Maybe you’re thinking of some other product?

1 Like

After 7 months with Unify…

• John’s added more patches (now over 500 factory) with the Unify 1.1 free update
  • Added new MIDI effect features like MIDIBox (play a MIDI file on any or multiple layers, layers being one instrument or an embedded instance of Unify with multiple instruments), including a bunch of MIDI files for patterns (i.e. shaker patterns, etc.)
  • Added JitterBox for a “humanizing”/randomizing of timing.
  • Additional samples (John samples and does sound design)

One really cool capability is that because Unify is multi-threaded across each layer (one thread per layer) you can actually do more with CPU-heavy synths like Omnisphere or Serum. For example, I was using an Omnisphere patch in Cantabile along with a couple others for a layered sound. But I was getting crackling; take out Omnisphere and everything was fine. So I created a patch in Unify.

What I did was use a feature called “PolyBOX” to create 8 layers of Omnisphere. What PolyBOX then does is that each note that I play it sends to a subsequent layer and repeats back to Layer 1 when I hit the 9th note. Now I could play far more notes at once (or hold them as long as I want) without glitches in my live set, making Omnisphere work over 8 threads. Added in my other instruments as additional layers and saved the patch. Now I can use this patch in any DAW, standalone, or Cantabile for live sets.

You can also leverage PolyBOX for “converting” a mono synth into a polyphonic one. John’s got video demos on how to do this. (Example of this at https://youtu.be/Z2ZudoH7H10?t=1035)

1 Like

Another example of spreading the load of CPU-heavy synths…

So in this example there’s a new patch set they’ve released for Omnisphere but also with “equivalent” patches for Unify. At the “base” level that just means 1 Unify patch with 1 Omnisphere layer and that specific patch to make it easier to combine layers and make new patches right in Unify.

But digging a bit deeper he takes the Multi patches from Omnisphere which are really heavy, and makes a Unify patch from the 4 layers and instead of Omnisphere struggling on 1 thread they’re 4 separately-threaded layers in Unify working without glitches.

Listen to the difference here: https://youtu.be/Z2ZudoH7H10?t=1974

So I’ve been “Unifying” all my favorite patches from other synths, and making custom ones knowing that the time investment isn’t wasted; I can use these anywhere now not just in Cantabile’s racks.

1 Like

Interesting - it appears that Omnisphere isn’t optimized for multithreading operation. Have you checked Cantabile’s multi-threading settings with Omnisphere? Could be that you could get Omnisphere to behave better using different multithreading settings in Cantabile.

But the big Spectrasonics plugs are definitely resource hogs - I try to stay away from them for live use, TBH.

Cheers,

Torsten

Yup, just looked it up at the Spectrasonics website: it appears their plug is built to run on one core only, so they actually recommend to distribute multiple parts to multiple instances when running into CPU limitations. Your approach with PolyBOX is taking this one step further - distributing voices instead of parts.

One more reason for me to stay away from Omnisphere & co…

Haven’t had any problems with Omnisphere myself in live use but i do avoid multis. The experience reported on unify is interesting, mind.

[Torsten] Could be that you could get Omnisphere to behave better using different multithreading settings in Cantabile.

The example in the video and my example are showing Omnisphere running better in standalone Unify whether splitting out multis to layers or using PolyBOX to distribute voices. Then whether I use that in Cubase or Cantabile it’s always using multi-threads. Nice thing is, the patch is completely portable, optimized regardless of where I use it eventually.

I don’t know about the rest of Spectrasonics products, but there’s sure a wealth of great sounds in Omnisphere. I have to say I’m also pulled to some of the D-50 patches that they have, by the sound designer who worked on the original… I have a D-50 and to be able to use the enhanced patches is pretty cool.

1 Like

Unify is STILL AMAZING - and even more so today!

Ok, I am reviving this thread, though Unify is no longer “new”. It is really maturing remarkably. Though John “Skippy” Lehmkuhl is doing his impressive magic in creating patches for it that now “Unify” MANY existing plugins and their factory patch lists as well, this is another one-man developer accomplishment, with Shane Dunne from Canada doing all the coding work. He and Brad would be great friends if they weren’t half a world away from each other! :slight_smile:

I am now about four months into putting Unify through its paces. It, along with Cantabile, has to be one of the best bargains in music software in the entire world! More features are constantly being added, along with free “Unified” patch collections in many folk’s favorite synths (and even Spitfire libraries) being provided mostly by the community there, which are then often “sweetened up” by Skippy.

Version 1.8 is being released this week.

I use it within Cantabile to create IN SECONDS quite amazing user patches, or I use the from among the massively huge lists presets that come with the factory set or with the sets I have also purchased - which are all remarkable demonstrations of brilliance by one of the master patch designers alive today. Additionally, the ability to add together, combine or replace sounds in the presets with ANY VSTi patch that I have on my computer makes it incredibly powerful - and I can save the patch to a custom user set or sets with tagging, categorization, and unique naming schemes. It is also possible to bring in a standalone copy of Unify through a loop-back input and take advantage of some of the live tricks Unify can perform only in the standalone version at this time (I have it integrated with a Maschine Jam controller, the marriage being very powerful as a live tool for messing with ANY parameter in ANY VSTi I wish).

I think Cantabile and Unify work incredibly well together. With bindings in Cantabile aimed at Unify, it gets very deep the amount of control one has in a song-to-song or state-to-state series of changes. It is very good at sending its layers to different CPU cores on its own, and its native synths are all great freeware items that are all extremely efficient with their CPU usage. Of course, you can still overwhelm the CPU if you TRY, but it is harder to do!

For $79, it does things no other plugin or DAW can do as fast or efficiently. It is still growing and getting better and better every few months, and the educational content provided by Skippy on their YouTube channel in patch design is priceless on its own.

So, I recommend it.

Terry

3 Likes

Thanks for throwing in your voice on this, Terry. I use it so extensively now. When I get a new VST I open Unify, load the VST, and start saving my favorite patches to a new library so I can find them far easier than in any other utility. Skippy is an amazing sound designer so with the native Unify libraries there are tons of great patches.

When I’m playing live I use it with Cantabile as well; all my favorite patches (“racks” in Cantabile terms) are already built so I don’t have to do nearly as much in Cantabile to prepare.

It’s also cool that others are working together to “Unify” factory patch libraries for other synths, making it even easier to get creative sooner, mashing together patches and finding your favorites.

It is really cool that Skippy and Shane keep adding more features, more capability to Unify. I try to support them by regularly purchasing his libraries so they can keep doing more for Unify.

2 Likes

Finally bought it today for 15% off using coupon webinar15

1 Like

Super! :grinning:

Installed Unify this evening - I had fun just with Skippy’s “Welcome to Unfiy” patch :grinning:

2 Likes