Aliases and Names when Changing MIDI IO Hardware

I plan to upgrade from a MidiSport 2x2 to a Teensy MIDI/USB Midi I/O and want to be sure I do not destroy songs and bindings when I do this. This seems like it could be a disaster if not performed correctly since files are changed.

From what I’ve read in the forum, I need to do the following (After a hard drive backup!):

The current midi input port is “Midi Sport A” as shown in the options

I need to add a new midi port “Teensy Cable 0” with the alias of “Midi Sport A”
Then, I can delete the “Midi Sport A” Midi input because any song that referenced the “Midi Sport A” will be rewired with the “Teensy Cable 0” as long as the Alias remains.

When a song that previously referenced “Midi Sport A” is opened, the midi input will be changed to “Teensy Cable 0.” If the song is saved, the “Midi Sport A” is removed from that song.

If the song is not saved, the “Midi Sport A” remains with the song but will always reference the “Teensy Cable 0” IF the Alias “Midi Sport A” remains with the port “Teensy Cable 0.”

Theoretically, if every song were opened and saved, the “Midi Sport A” Alias could be removed.

With regards to the Assignments check boxes, I need to check the “Teensy Cable 0” box.

Instead of hardware names, I may used names such as “MIDI DIN Input” or something functionally devoid of the hardware reference.

Is this the correct method? Any problems I need to avoid? Better way?

1 Like

My clear recommendation: no hardware names in MIDI ports - stick to logical names desribing the role of the port. Hardware changes over the years, but your logical setup will typically be more stable.

I only use ports names like Main Keyboard, Second Keyboard, Drum Pads, Faders, Pedals, LivePrompter Remote,…

Then I use a mix of direct hardware port assignments (assigning hardware ports to logical ports) and loopback mechanisms (e.g. sending the CCs for pedals and hardware faders on my keyboards to the logical ports “pedals” and “Faders”).

That way, when I change my hardware, I simply re-assign the hardware ports and change the loopback routing in my background rack. All songs can stay as they are.

Highly recommended - that’s the big advantage of Cantabile’s logical ports.

Cheers

Torsten

6 Likes

Thanks, @Torsten. Now I’ve got the hardware names and want to go to the function names as you say. Does this only require adding the “Function Midi Port” with the “Hardware Midi Port” as an Alias and the rest happens behind the scenes?

I want to remove the “Hardware Midi Port” from the routing diagram.

To explain port aliases:

When Cantabile loads a song that references a missing port, it will look for a port with a matching alias name. If a port with that alias name is found, the song is updated with the real name of that port.

If you save the song, those update port names (the real port names) will be saved.

If you don’t save the song, it will be left with the old name, but each time it’s loaded the alias will continue to be matched - until you either save the song, or remove the alias.

Correct.

Yes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the further explanation. I’ll try the hardware swap soon and see what happens. I’ve got to build the hardware rack with the ADC/DAC, USB HUB, and Teensy before I can try it.