Advice needed for simple small ambient guitar live setup

HI, I am about to start playing in a duet with a keyboard player. We will play ambient music mainly, tiny venues :slight_smile: very softly :slight_smile: I will play guitar through my Surface/Cantabile /focusrite interface into some sort of PA speaker I expect. I dont want a guitar amp, colours the sound too much, I want a sound like I get in my studio. Here is an example of the sort of piece we will play

I am thinking of this little PA active monitor https://www.storedj.com.au/behringer-eurolive-b108d-active-8-pa-speaker
Does anyone have any experience in this sort of very small scale performance that might help me find a decent setup?
thanks

I used to have that little speaker a few years ago, I used it only as a vocal monitor. Frankly the sound quality is pretty bad, not a lot of high-end. Maybe the newer models are better, and maybe with some careful EQ you can probably get it to sound okay.

I would look at the Alto TX308, I’ve had several of their speakers and for the money they are pretty hard to beat. If you want to spend a little more look into JBL or something like that. You can also usually pick up good speakers on the used market. But definitely stick with the active, powered speakers.

1 Like

thanks - I dont want to spend that much more but I’d rather spend extra and get something I like if that is they way of it. They sell Alto here and JBL and Yamaha. Someone has recommended the Yamaha DBR10 as well

You can’t go wrong with either of those three for what you’re doing. I had the Yamaha DXR 10, which is a full range full response speaker… It was a good speaker and extremely loud, highs were a little muted but it was an FRFR speaker so that’s to be expected. I’ve used the Alto as a monitor and for PA, and it was really quite good. You’ll find the bass response on the 10 in much better, And if you’re ever going to play larger venues or louder then the JBL or Yamaha would be better.

1 Like

Hi Greg,

This is probably more than you need but since Tom mentioned Yamaha I had to chime in. This little setup has been great for me in small rooms and the built in mixer/fx/amp with feedback killer is very good. Each speaker has a 10" with horn and are very light to handle. They also have excellent road cases. I’ve used them as mains, wedge monitors and stereo keyboard monitors for large stages so very versatile IMO. With Yamaha it’s always a little pricey but this system has been great.

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

@dave_dore - I never heard of the STAGEPAS 600I - very clever design. Did you pull the mixer off the speaker or just run it in it’s mounted position?

1 Like

Hey Doug,

I do remove the mixer and place it close and place the speakers where needed. They make a stand mount for the mixer unit that’s cool too.

Dave