AcousticSamples B5?

I need a 72 hours day. At now, I have a huge “to try” queue.

It couldn’t possibly be larger than my to-try-queue. :roll_eyes:

What about a race? Not now, bedtime here. Too bad, in the morning I’ll be busy in 9876 damn boring things.

My racing days have been long over. :hourglass::man_white_haired:

More thoughts on B5 and Hammond emulations in general.

B5 is the first Hammond emulation where the swell pedal does exactly what I expect out of the box. VB3 1 and 2 and B3-X seem more like just a normal volume pedal than swell.

This comment might be sort of wrong but perhaps the tube distortion of some of our most loved Hammond emulations are a little too accurate? I got (for me a rare) chance to sit down at a B3/147 in an empty studio recently and was surprised how “rough” the cranked up sound was and immediately thought to myself, this sounds a lot like the distortion of VB3 II and the IK Leslie. The B5 distortion seems a little smoother so a more pleasant “grind” when you crank it up loud. I see why some pros here use Klanghelm SDRR or Soundtoys Radiator with VB3.

With guitars I know tube amp distortion. Since I haven’t played live through a real B3 and because there is the distotion of the B3 itself plus the distortion of the Leslie sorting out what works in a live situation hasn’t been easy for me. That’s why Corky’s (and others) presets are so interesting to me - it’s been hard for me to get VB3 II and the IK to sound “right” (VB3 1.4 was easier). The B5 cranked up through self powered monitors has been even more what I hear when listening to rock Hammond players.

2 Likes

True dat! B3-X does the same…just a little differently.

Exactly how I’ve been using it for at least 4 years now. I use a 15" + horn, 600W, powered monitor to run all my keys and guitars. I have all the power I need to play any situation, and is much lighter than my Crate keyboard amp I’ve seen others use amp sims thru a guitar amp with a terrible results. The problem with that is you are running an amp into an amp. Same with vst Hammond into a tube amp. Gain staging is a must, and volume pedal bound to vst swell will give that semi-true experience in some of the clones. My Hammond setup can drown out any guitar player…if the need arises. :wink:

1 Like

One more note, not only did the drawbars, swell pedal and Leslie (modwheel) map out of the box but also all the tablet switches and drive knob. I programmed my Axioms to the VB3 defaults - is this a standard that goes back to perhaps the B4?

The Axioms have twenty slots for different midi assignment sets. At first I just assigned one of them but after a live mishap where somehow I got on different one I copied the first one to all the other slots.

I did try setting the Axiom to its own default and doing all the assignment in Cantabile but ran into some dead end with the rotary encoders and decided if I have to program the Axiom at all I might as well program it to VB3.

LOL, so are you saying your guitarist needs three Marshall Majors to keep up? :rofl: I think that would be considered some sort of acoustic warfare weapon!

Not all my guitarists are ridiculously loud, but I can interrupt an endless guitar solo very easily with a heavy Hammond improv. :sunglasses:

As a member of that band, my artistic dream was essentially the same dream that inspired legendary musicians such as Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and The Dave Clark Five: The dream of getting a bigger amplifier. This was important because of the musical dynamics of a rock band, which are very similar to the political dynamics of the Asian subcontinent. Let’s say that India is the drummer, and Pakistan is the lead guitar player. There is always tension between these two instruments, because they both want to be the loudest.

Let’s say that, in this band, they start out roughly equal, but then, one day, India goes out and gets larger drumsticks. Pakistan is naturally threatened and responds by buying a more-powerful amplifier. Then India, seeking to regain superiority, buys even LARGER drumsticks, and maybe a cowbell. At this point, the keyboard player (China) feels it has no choice but to escalate, and pretty soon the band is so loud that merely by tuning up it can kill whales swimming thousands of miles away. (In a selfless effort to avoid this kind of tragedy, the Federal Duck almost never tuned up.)

–Dave Barry

2 Likes

I bought two little behringer monitors because EVERY time after soundcheck, guitar player is able to raise volume at his will. Now I use the monitors as a way to survive and listen to what I play.
If I follow mixer and PA guy, at the first song I am not able to play because I cannot listen.
In 2019 I had a nervous breakdown with a guy on mixer complaining about my Hammond level while guitars were much higher (on stage).
Little issue for this setup: I need an audio board with two TRS output, both with its potentiometer. Not found yet at a reasonable price (only Arturia Audiofuse seems compliant)

2 Likes

Which model are the monitors? I’m always checking those out. I’ve also been scoping out using IEM’s plugged into one of those direct boxes that can take an input from a wedge and then pass it back (IEMs on a budget)

I got a couple of Behringer B208 active monitors. Compact, powerful, robust, cheap. One of my best purchases ever…

New B5 v3 Preset here:

Hi I made these snapshots to show @SteveK the presets since they are not listed on the site. So I thought maybe others would like a look too. It gives a feel for how it’s laid out and what models are available …

Factory preset list …

SnapShot%2015161

SnapShot%2015162 SnapShot%2015163 SnapShot%2015164 SnapShot%2015165 SnapShot%2015166

4 Tonewheel models

SnapShot%2015167

There are 2 groups of Voicings but too many models to post but suffice to say the list is exhaustive and interchangeable!

SnapShot%2015168 SnapShot%2015169

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

What is an irrational pro organ?

1 Like

Square root of negative drawbars?

3 Likes

It’s from an album called “The Pros and Cons of Organ Donation” :grinning:

3 Likes

Which pedal do you use? Any troubles with CC curves? The real Hammond pedal is not so easy to emulate.

I have a Line 6 FBV Express Mkll.

Not really. Hammond pedals are much like Hammonds…everyone is different with different degrees of wear and tear. There is a Line 6 program that does an adjustment, but since I use it for many things at the song level, I adjust it in Cantabile. I am not looking for perfection in a pedal, or I would use an expensive one. Unless I am playing a special gig, or recording, I leave my “good” gear at home, and let the cheaper gear take the wear and tear of 3-4 gigs a week. Just how I roll now. :grin:

2 Likes