Accessing Your Cantabile PC via Remote Desktop

Hi, all

I don’t think I have seen a post before saying this is possible, so I thought I’d post my experiences.

I’ve been using remote desktop over the past few days so I can sit outside in the garden whilst trying to track down and fix a pervasive problem on my DAW PC, which, given I like sitting outside when it is nice, was in danger of not being fixed until the Autumn!. Remote desktop on my Windows laptop allowed me to enjoy the sunshine whilst accessing the DAW PC in the studio to track down and fix the issue. :slight_smile:

It got me wondering if you could actually access PCs in this manner via OS X and IOS and it looks like you can quite nicely! I was interested in the former so when I programming my librarians and I need to develop on the PC, then I could still be sitting at my Mac location (more comfortable!) and the latter as possible a backup “monitor” on a gig.

Here is my GIG PC interface, a GeChic touch monitor and keyboard/mouse, and to the right is my iPAD (leaning against my trusty TG77 and EX5r!) with the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client installed on it and running and logged into the GIGPC. The UI is not perfectly rendered, but it is usable.

When setting up the remote connect under Additional Options, you need to set the Sound option to Play on remote PC.

Otherwise it was a doddle to setup and use. Here is a closer shot of the user interface, which was responding to my touch gestures.

I had been wondering what I would do on a gig if my GeChic monitor failed for some reason. Now I know I potentially have an option that would do at a pinch, Not as nice as the GeChic, but certainly fine as a backup.

Hope that is useful for somebody! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Okay, that is very cool. My question is that the remote desktop will only mirror the host PC. Just asking. I plan to try this. I assume you don’t use ad hoc but connect both to a router.

Great post!

Yes it is mirroring the host, but that itself can be useful. And, yes they are connected via a router. In an emergency that could be my phone hot spot.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have been using remote access to my desktop lately for other tasks. I was surprised to find Chrome worked very well. Very transparent.

What Remote access are others using?

Either RDP on Win 10 or the Microsoft RDP app for either OSX or IOS. All work a treat.

Splashtop. Cross-platform and very cool.

I Use Team Viewer to access my gig laptop from a comfy and large monitor PC. Its free for private use.

2 Likes

Lots of choices out there. Out of interest what does something like TeamViewer give you that microsoft’s own RDP client does not?

Just curious…

The advantage of TeamViewer is that it mirrors your gig laptop instead of hiding the screen. That’s my main gripe with Microsoft’s RDP. I have tested a number of remote desktop solutions; some are intolerable in terms of their CPU / latency impact, others work OK. TightVNC works well for me, but has some glitches (messes with the desktop background, even when I tell it not to…).

@RackedBrain: How is Splashtop working regarding CPU / latency footprint?

cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

@Torsten SplashTop is very reliable. It hasn’t bothered me enough CPU/Performance-wise to do any real testing. I’ll see if I can run some tests this afternoon. My only discomfort with it is that it is cloud-based. By cloud-based, I mean someone else’s computer is involved over the Internet. So I have to bring a cell phone or other Wi-fi to the gig for connection to the Internet.

I also used to use TightVNC, (since the Receptor days) but found it un-reliable and fiddley. Other than the Internet requirement (the plus side of which is “better” security), SplashTop has been great.

Hi, Torsten

Thanks for that info, yes, that would be enough of a reason (mirroring the display) to try it out.

Just a quick shot of Splashtop + C3 at idle. Windows says SplashTop is using about 10% of the CPU. This is really heavy C3 rack with Kontakt, M1, Blue3, and some sax mic processing. Some preliminary tests and a short LatencyMon run.

1 Like