4159 - Can't manage MIDI ports of a Linked Rack from main screen

I used to be able to manage a Linked Rack’s MIDI ports from a right-click on the rack’s entry on the main screen. Now I can select ‘Properties’, but the only things I can do are change the name and colour.

When I go into a Linked Rack and right-click on ‘Output Ports’ I have additional tabs to manage MIDI and audio ports and comments. Should this be the same set of tabs from the main screen, or do I now always have to open up a Linked Rack to manage all of its properties?

Anyone else find this odd?

Brad explained in this video the why I believe. It was explained that there are 2 sets of properties for racks and that he separated them in the new builds. Check 1:35 on of the video for details.

That video kinda proves my point. The tabs of the ‘Properties’ dialogue are different when called up inside and outside the Linked Rack. To my way of thinking ‘Properties’ for a Rack should be identical, no matter where it is called up from.

It’s making it quite onerous having to go in and out of each rack just to create a new MIDI port, for instance. If the same tabs were available inside and outside the Rack I’d be happy.

Can I please ask for this to be considered?

3 Likes

Looks like some others are OK with what I’m suggesting.

If you look closely at the title bars, the Properties you get from right-clicking a rack in the Song view, are the “Rack Slot Properties” - this lets you define how that rack is embedded in the song (name, color). To edit the properties of the actual rack (“Rack Properties”), you need to enter the actual rack and make your changes there - these are independent of the song.

Needs a bit of getting used to, but is actually more logical from my point of view - changes to the rack are made in the rack view, changes to the song in the song view.

Just takes some un-learning…

Hmmmm… It’s not the fact that it has changed, but that it has put extra clicks between me and my target. Thankfully it’s not something I’m doing every 5 minutes.