Why can't I use environment ports in embedded racks in the background rack?

Apologies for the lengthy title, but it’s complicated:

• I’m trying to clean up my background rack by bundling some of my routing in individual embedded racks - reduces the mess a bit
  • What I’d like to do in these racks is create some specific routes between environment MIDI ports and some loopback ports, so I can encapsulate and abstract things nicely
  • When I create an embedded rack, the only ports available for routes are the rack-specific input and output ports, not the environment ports.

@brad: is there a specific reason for the environment ports not being available in background rack sub-racks?

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

I asked the same question Brad personally the last days.

It’s not only the case in the background rack. Also if you use nested racks (a rack in a rack) the environment ports are no longer available. I’d love to see this working :wink:

Check Options -> Miscellaneous -> Advanced -> “Show Environment Audio and MIDI Ports in Racks”.

This will make them appear in normal linked racks, but they wont appear in embedded racks inside linked racks (as mentioned to @FantomXR, I can’t remember exactly why)

Wondering why this restriction exists (i.e. Global Environment ports are not available in an Embedded Racks inside a Linked Rack) … and if just possibly maybe the restriction could be removed …

There might not be any reason for this and perhaps I can remove it.

If memory serves (and it may not) this could go right back to the very first mvp versions of Cantabile 3 where for a while I was planning on allowing linked racks in other racks. There were a bunch of additional checks for things like circular references between racks etc… it could be a long dormant hold over from that, but I’d need to check through the code to be sure.