Using Cantabile as a real-time workstation interface

I am currently using a Nord Stage 2 as a MIDI keyboard controller to trigger sounds from a Roland Integra-7 as well as from Omnisphere. The Nord can only send out note and CC data on 2 discrete MIDI channels meaning that I must at times combine several parts onto a single MIDI channel. Ideally, I would like to be able to route the MIDI signals coming from my keyboard onto several different MIDI channels simultaneously. This would allow me to use outboard equipment such as MIDI mixers and editors in real time so that I can make real time changes to each sound (assigned to independent MIDI channels) on the fly.
Is there anyway to do this with Cantabile?
In the past, workstation keyboards would provide a way to setup the keyboard to send MIDI data on upwards of 8 different MIDI channels at a time.

I think this is perfectly possible with cantabile. Just route your midi zone from channel 1 to another and you’re ready, i think.

1 Like

I know what you mean - my Wavestation could do this - output a different channel for each of its eight layers.

Cantabile is good at re-channelizing in the MIDI setup page, and is great at splits to multiple channels. You can set up several with the same input and different outputs using the filter. The only problem is that it is set in stone after that.

To split or layer further you can create a bunch of re-channelizing filters in the Set List input section (the top section) by clicking that little “Funnel” icon to access the filters. (This way you can have multiple setups that change with different set lists, or even song states if you have Cantabile Performer.)

For each one, set the output going to your preferred MIDI out cable and set up the channel for that output using the filters.

I hope that was at least somewhat clear! See below for a better illustration.

Terry

2 Likes

Note that you have to do it as separate routes, not all in one route.

Ch 1 to Ch 3:

Ch 1 to Ch 4:

Terry

2 Likes

Thanks Terrybritton for the example and your explanation. That makes a lot of sense. I’ll give this a try. Fortunately, I can save groups as well as assign keyboard ranges on the Integra so I can easily switch between live patches.

I’m thinking of upgrading to Performer in order to have a bit more versatility.

2 Likes