Suggestion: Use value for all states

One thing I keep hitting up against with Cantabile is where something has state-driven behaviour, but I want to reset its value in all states to some common starting point.

An example from real use: I tend to have state behaviour enabled on the rack faders in songs, so that different parts of songs can have different rack levels. On one occasion I decided to change the sound of one of my racks for the song, which meant rethinking its levels throughout the song, as it was quite a bit louder. What I wanted to do was set a uniform level for the rack for the whole song, and make tweaks where necessary. I had to disable state behaviour on the fader and then scan through every song state in order to pick up the new baseline value, and then re-enable state behaviour.

I also often have situations where I change the routing in a rack, for example add a new effects plugin in parallel with another, and want this to be applied for all rack states, while still having state behaviour enabled so I can override it where necessary.

It would have been really nice to have a right-click command on the item in question and choose “Copy value to all states”, without needing to use the workaround of disabling state behaviour, scanning through all states, then re-enabling state behaviour.

Neil

2 Likes

I like the idea! Have gone through the workaround Neil described a couple of times…:worried:

1 Like

Furthermore, I’m not actually sure it’s clear to a new user why you need to scan through the states when you disable state behaviour. Intuitively I would have thought as soon as you disable state behaviour on something, the current value would automatically apply to all other states. So perhaps new users might not even discover the workaround, and end up going through potentially dozens of states carefully moving sliders etc.

I agree too. I’m often having to do the workaround. This would be a very neat feature.

yes to this suggestion.