Soundcard or C3 to Bluetooth for in-ears?

The technology was never there to use bluetooth for in-ear live. I have demoed high end, and cheap Asian knockoffs. Latency is bad at best, AND dropouts are even worse. I’ve had to prove that to several musicians I’ve worked with. Don’t waste your time, or money on the brags of low latency. My 2 cents. Just saying…

4 Likes

To late I already spent 50 € :slight_smile:
Indeed that’s the problem. Although lately I saw some bluetooth advertisement on a Namm new fancy midi keyboard, so I’m confused…

I’m using a bluetooth transmisor and a chinese bluetooth inear and it’s not bad. I’ve played 5 times at live with them and it’s ok, delay is not noticeable (I dunno, maybe 20ms?). The problem I’m having is that yo need to be close to the transmisor,if you move more than 2 metres away the sound start to clip, but I always stay close to my keyboard stand so is not a big problem, but is annoying.
Bluetooth inear battery lasts 3 hrs so it’s okay for me, I usually play 1 hr more or less.
Our singer has a chinese version of shure transmisor and she says that it work well enough, the transmisor would be near the sound engineer (10-20 meters away) and it doesn’t clip, but it’s a big transmisor and you have to wear the receiver attached to your clothes and plug a wire headphone, and the receiver has 3 AA batteries.

I bet that soon we’ll have cheaper and better bluetooth (or another wireless solution) for playing live.

Link or it didn’t happen ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha, I know that is hard to prove and it depends on our own experience, but in case that somebody is interested:
Avantree priva 3 is transmisor and mee audio x6plus bluetooth is the inear. They’re really cheap.

TBH, a delay of 20ms would be pretty noticeable to me (we’re fiddling with buffer sizes to get our round trip latencies to around 6-8 ms; adding 20 to that would feel pretty sluggish to me, especially for vocal monitoring, I would find this problematic.

OTOH you can get used to quite a lot - in effect, 20 ms delay is the same as having your monitor speaker about 6.5 meters / 20 feet away from you. Not nice, but workable in some conditions. I don’t know how organists do this when playing from the remote manual some 20-30 meters away from their pipes - takes special training, I guess…

Cheers,

Torsten

I think that says it all.

You pretty much train yourself to completely ignore the sound of the organ except to note its timbre. You stay in your head hearing the music there in sync with your fingers. I still do that today even with low latencies - only monitor to hear the sound qualities. Different story if playing with drums or sequences/ARP patterns!!! I need in-ear monitors with the drums and/or the full mix piped in AND a click track! :slight_smile:

Terry

1 Like

Yes, for that reason I’ve said that!

If you have money, yeah, go ahead an buy a pro transmisor that works flawlessly sennheiser, shure, etc.
If yo don’t have money but you’re interested in wireless, that could (under specific conditions) works.

I play keyboards in a metal band, I usually guide myself with drums/bass, but when in a part I’m playing without them I guide myself with a click, and that delay is not bad for me. But Yeah, if you have to monitoring yourself in a different scenario, 15-20 ms (as I said i don’t know if those numbers are correct, i didn’t measure them) couldn’t be “not bad”, and if you don’t have the dough to buy something robust, yeah, wires are the way to go.

1 Like

In my case, I use the keytar allot because it’s fun to walk around as keyboard player, for solo’s etc. So a decent and affordable set would indeed be great !

If you will be walking I wouldn’t recommend it, you have to be near the receiver or it will clip.
More expensive but yet cheap it would be takstar wpm 200, our singer has one, she walk a lot and so far takstar is fine.