Changing State By Song Position

Brad, is there any update on enabling State changes based on song position? I believe this was being considered but didn’t make the last cut.

I’ll need to purchase something I can control by foot to do this since I play guitar and need a hands free option. I change VST’s a lot based on song section so this is essential for me.

I can imagine there is an unending list of requests from the community and everyone has their “favorite” :). Seems like this would be useful for a lot of applications though (doing “things” based on song position). But, I understand. all requests need to be weighted on difficulty to implement as well…cost/benefit.

Just wondering…thanks.

Tom

1 Like

Hi @tonemaster

It’s not been implemented yet - mainly because I need to be careful to make sure this is done correctly. There are a couple of other features that all tie into this (in particular some plans to combine/merge triggers and bindings and other loop and track position based features) and so I’m reluctant to just rush into it.

Brad

Understood. I can work around it but if we get it at some point will be a great feature.

Thanks!

There may be a way to do this (albeit in a somewhat convoluted fashion):

• Create a MIDI file in your favorite sequencer that contains MIDI CC events for every state change (use one of the general purpose controllers like 16) - place CC 16 events at the times when you want to switch to the next song state
  • Load this MIDI file into a media player and sync it with your backing track (I assume you have a backing track, since you want to switch by song position - right?)
  • Route the MIDI output of this media player to “Loopback - Main Keyboard”
  • Create a binding in your global/background rack from Main Keyboard - Controller - 16 to Song States - Next State (instant)

… and you’re all set: your MIDI file should start with your backing track and send “next state” commands to the global bindings which then in turn should automatically switch to the next state.

@brad: I haven’t tried this yet, but I assume that the loopback ports will connect to global bindings - correct?

Cheers,

Torsten

Thanks Torsten. Interesting idea. Definitely more set up/prep per song but once it’s done it’s done. I’m still working out my gig configuration with Cantabile and looking for the easiest, simplest approach.

I can say this…without Cantabile I’d be LOST. What an amazing gig enabler!

1 Like