VB3 as FX Conundrum

I’ve hit a problem that I’m not sure I can get around unless someone can recommend a way to get ‘inside’ the plugin.
If you’re a VB3 user, as many of us are, you are probably aware of the FX version of the plugin which gives audio input access to the Leslie. At least, the 32 bit version does. The 64 bit version lost that ability.
The trouble I’m having is that Cantabile is replacing the FX version with the instrument version when the song is reloaded.
I’ve tested in Cubase and it works OK.
I’m now using Metaplugin as a wrapper inside Cantabile to ‘protect’ the FX version, and that seems to work OK, but it’s a little convoluted.
Thoughts?

My initial thought is- don’t use the x64, it seems to have a lot of issues. I use the x86 with j-Bridge and it’s happy happy joy joy. I understand why you might not want to go that way though.

Hey Fred,
It’s the FX I’m after. Only the 32 bit version allows audio access to the Leslie.

I use the VB3 FX 64 a little, and it works just fine for me, but I am still on Win7 x64.

32-bit is what I mean. I have a pretentious tendency to use the old 80s nomenclature (x86, x64) out of old old habits lol

I have to say that after going to GG’s Blue3, I have no more issues with the VB3s and B4s of the world. Really, take a look. And it does have a separate Leslie. And more twisty-turn bits than anyone. And 64-bit.

2 Likes

I don’t know what’s going on here then. Every time I reload, the song has substituted the instrument.
The instrument will not accept audio. Only the FX version.
Stumped, as it’s working for you. :frowning:

Yeah, but Blue3 sounds like doo-doo, especially- well entirely- the Leslie. The actual organ engine itself is cool. No offense intended to the guy(s) who worked really hard on it but it just doesn’t do it for me. YMMV obviously.

Actually, I take that back, I’d use Blue3 for sure in certain context. But fat overdrive organ doesn’t really work well with it. And I think the Leslie is vastly inferior to Guido’s (the best I’ve ever heard really, unless there’s a hardware box that beats it)

I deleted all my x86 GSI plugs. I don’t know why it is replacing it. I will be on my rig this evening and test it. You say it works tho in Cubase? Unless someone else corrects it before I can get to my rig, I will see what I can come up with. You on Win 10?

The Blue3 rotary effect is one of the best I’ve used on guitar. You know VB3 is my baby, but Blue3 rotary on guitar is killer.

The issue is that Cantabile seems to be having trouble distinguishing the FX version from the Instrument. At least that’s what’ happening here

That may well be… guitar is a different animal! I will have to try that!

Hi @Ade,

Send me a copy of your plugins.json file (accessible via Tools -> Open Settings Folder) and I’ll take a look.

Also, what build of Cantabile are you running?

Brad

Hi Adrian

This is what I found out:

From Rekkerd.org:

VB3 version 1.4 recompiled to be x64 VST for Windows. There’s no difference with the 32 bit version except that the support files (VB3.ini, VB3.lic, VB3.fxp) are now stored in the System User’s path.

This is to be intended as a temporary release until the next version is ready to be released to the public. Only the VST instrument version is available. The FX variant is not available in VST x64. Mac users please be patient, unfortunately programming on Mac requires more time.

YET…this is GSI in my user files:

VB3%20user%20file

As you see, I have VB3fx.64. Is your C3 pointed to the user files? My VB3fx.86 was in my VST folder. X64 was not. Hope this sheds a little light on it.

Which explains why it’s not in the download but doesn’t explain why it’s in yours! :slight_smile:That’s not a jbridge file is it?

Not a jbridge. This is where it was placed by GSI. Don’t know why. But Rekkerd said it wasn’t available as x64, yet there it is as an x64 file. Is it in your user folder?
Edit: Adrian, re-thinking this. My gear is packed for gig this evening so I can’t get to it today. I don’t believe this is a jbridge file as I never pointed jbridge to it, but I want to make sure. I will get back to you soon.

@Ade

Adrian, check your PM

Thanks for that Corky.
I did get it to work by eliminating all the 64 bit components and using only jBridged 32 bit versions.
Its working well now.

1 Like