VB Audio Matrix

@terrybritton
Have you checked this out? Seems like a major xover product which might address the known issues with Voicemeeter?

3 Likes

Sounds like a dream come true…OTHO, there is no mention of latency on the page. :thinking:
I would love to record Cantabile output (say) in Cakewalk while listening at the same time to the already recorded tracks. But one would need a reasonably low latency for that.
I also like the capability of using (if I understand correctly) more than one ASIO device. I have an old Terratec Phase24 and I bought a PCI Firewire board, just in case…I could add some more audio channels to my present setup (a Steinberg UR22MkII).

I think I will try it out, sounds too good to simply ignore it.

Gabriel

Definitely did not hear about this till now. Thanks for the news! I have just installed it and will check it out. :slight_smile:

In Voicemeeter, if you made the A1 output device an actual ASIO device, it would sync to that device’s settings including the buffer settings. I will be extremely interested to see if this follows the buffer settings like Voicemeeter did (or better!).

Terry

Yes, I know. I have tried to use Voicemeeter to record Cantabile’s output in Cakewalk. However, it is always a struggle to get proper syncing. Quite often the audio stream does not work properly (i.e. you get “digital noise”), even after switching on and off the audio engines a few times.
I am hoping this new software behaves better in this particular application.
Gabriel

1 Like

I’ve been reasonably successful between Cantabile, VMeeter and Cubase. The main issue for me is the interface flipping sample rate out of the blue.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I tried Matrix and it worked with Cantabile. Then I ran Cakewalk and it crashed while showing the initial banner. I used WinDBG to see what was happening: the crash happened when accessing the ASIO drivers (Access violation).

Since Cakewalk was configured to use the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (YSUSB), I uninstalled YSUSB and also Matrix.
After that, Cakewalk started, though of course with another audio configuration (it asked for one at program start, if I remember well). So I closed Cakewalk and I re-installed the YSUSB. After rebooting and starting Cakewalk, I was able to select the YSUSB in Cakewalk preferences. Then something strange happened: after selecting ASIO mode, the YSUSB driver simply disappeared from Cakewalk options! This persisted after rebooting.

Just out of curiosity, I re-installed Matrix and tried again. Now Cakewalk crashes again.
So I guess I will give up on Matrix, at least for a while. In the meantime, I am struggling to get my previous setup (Cakewalk+YSUSB) back…wish me luck! :sweat_smile:

Gabriel

UPDATE: at least part of the problem is solved. When reinstalling the YSUSB driver, I downloaded the latest version…the 32-bit one! (my system is 64-bit). Probably Cakewalk was not able to see it after rebooting. :relaxed:

UPDATE2: I can confirm that, after re-installing Matrix, Cakewalk crashes again with “Access violation” when dealing with ASIO drivers. Some pointer gets corrupted, probably.

UPDATE3: A strange thing: I used Revo Uninstaller to remove Matrix from my PC and it says that its 32-bit. However, when launching the program, I get the option to launch the x64 version (and that’s what I did). :thinking:

1 Like

Wow! Well thanks for taking the plunge. That’s disappointing.
Hard to understand how Vincent would release such a deeply flawed app. Maybe he could be directed to this thread?

Done

Well, that’s in fact hard to believe. I’d rather think about something in Cakewalk’s starting sequence which conflicts with VBMatrix ASIO drivers or something peculiar to my system. I will try to do the same on my laptop and see if it happens there, too.

I am wondering if VBMatrix installs both 32bit and 64bit ASIO drivers. Maybe Cakewalk tries to do something with them, resulting in memory corruption. Just an idea.

Gabriel

P.S. Thanks for reporting about my problem on VB’s forum!

1 Like

Would you be able to grab Reaper to see if the crash persists there?

I would really like to, but I don’t think I will have enough spare time in the next few days to download and install Reaper. It’s a hectic period at work, at least until the end of October.

Gabriel

1 Like

Sorry, that was cheeky of me. I’m currently hobbling around with a back injury but I do have a laptop nearby that runs banana. I’ll sling matrix in and see if I can blow it up.

1 Like

I’m glad to report it works quite nicely between Cantabile, Cubase, browsers, VLC etc - and that was on an old i5 Lenovo T410 I have at the house.
I can usually run a few plugins to test setups on the old gal, operates surprisingly well. CPU was marginally up as opposed to running directly to the ASIO driver, but I was click free at 128 samples, recorded a GX80 and Valhalla perfectly into Cubase with none of the potential feedback loops that appear all too easily in Banana if you’re not careful, and no discernable clocking issues. It’s very easy to set busses which don’t interfere with each other, and all routes can be named.
I was even able to do a lo res OBS screen capture (no audio, that was asking a bit much) to demonstrate the system working., If it works on a 10 year old laptop, it should have no trouble on more modern machines. It’s the closest we’ve got to Apple’s Core Audio.

Glad to hear that, @Ade!

In fact, I have just installed VBMatrix on my laptop (Win11) and it works even with Cakewalk. I could record in Cakewalk the output from Cantabile (through Matrix). No glitches or clicks.

Now, I have to understand what’s happening on my desktop PC (Win10). There is much more installed on it than on the laptop, for sure, including VoiceMeeter. OTOH, the hardware interface is the same (Steinberg UR22mkII). First, I will try uninstalling VoiceMeeter, just in case there are conflicts with it.

Gabriel

P.S. I have read Vincent’s answer on the VB forum.

UPDATE: Uninstalling Voicemeeter had no effect: Cakewalk still crashes when loading VBMatrix ASIO drivers.

1 Like

That’s good to know. It will be interesting to see if there is any advantage in terms of buffer settings and clock stability over Voicemeeter. It’s possible, I’m guessing, they are both based on the same VAIO driver - bur perhaps Matrix is more streamlined and efficient? I’m very interested to hear what @terrybritton has to say about this. I was not getting satisfactory results with Bluecat’s thing.

I haven’t gotten to it yet, but that is soon!
Terry

1 Like

ASIO Link Pro is still king of routing (unfortunately abandonware).

That’s interesting - never really was on my radar until your post. How is it at low latency (that is, 128 and below) compared to using the manufacturer’s ASIO driver directly?

It uses a manufacturer’s driver and routes at zero latency.