Solved: UVI Workstation crashing Cantabile

Regarding Digital Synsations -
I see from the UVI overview videos that Digital Synsations Vol Two has a different UVI engine from Digital Synsations Volume One. Volume One appears to use the standard library interface that most of UVI libraries use and the one that I’m having difficulties with. I’m not sure if Volume Two calls up the Explorer window or has the save MULTI save feature because it looks different in the videos.

Ok. Me having vol 1 didn’t detect the problem.
Have you tried reaching out UVI ?

Yes I have reached out to UVI and asked them to test their software with Cantabile as they do with other hosts and DAWs. So you can click on save MULTI, the Explorer window comes up, and you can type the name of a new preset in the Explorer window requestor…?
Below is a screen grab after I clicked on Save Multi from the UVI interface. It shows the name of the current preset highlighted BUT I can’t type over it or clear it. But I can double click on a preset listed in the folder to save over it. I don’t have this problem with UVI or any other application in any other software. It is strange.
https://garylphillips.com/uvi_freeze1.jpg
I’m using latest UVI Workstation 3.1.11 as shown in lower left of UVI window and Cantabile 4 build 4062.

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm the problem now.

Cantabile 4062
UVI Workstation 3.1.11 VST 3
UVI Percussion Factory 1.1.2

Load a preset.
Save Multi --> Cantabile crashes.
I have to use the Task Manager to exit Cantabile.

It does not matter which library is loaded (Digital Synsations, Acousticsamples B5, etc.) The problem always exists.

The problem does NOT exist when using UVI Workstation Standalone.

2 Likes

I made a few more attempts: Cantabile has the same problem also with UVI Falcon. Neither the saving of multis nor of programs works in Falcon.

I then tried both plugins in Gig Performer. Here the saving worked.

Here are some videos that show the issue:

For testing purposes:

UVI Workstation (free)
UVI Workstation - TOR ZU UVI SOUNDS

Acousticsamples free sounds:
AS Free Collection (acousticsamples.net)

Seems like you are writing the file to “YourPC -> D:”. Try “D\Uvi” instead.
It happens the root directory is read-only. This is surely true for system dir C:, but I’m …running out of ideas.

Just noticed the additional posts. Thanks for confirming there is a problem. Until it is fixed - which may require a bit of cooperation or communication between Cantabile & UVI - here’s what I do. In Windows Explorer I go into the folder where I’m saving (which is not a protected, read-only or system drive) and I copy an existing multi or preset and give that a new name. Then when saving from UVI in Cantabile I can select that name and double click it to save over it, since you can’t type in a name and use the Window controls.

I can confirm that UVI is aware of and working to solve this problem. I discovered another workaround to avoid losing work and not being able to save. As stated, you can duplicate an old preset and rename it from explorer (outside of Cantabile) and then once back in UVI Workstation’s preset save window, double click that file to save over it - since you can’t type in the name. Sometimes this hangs as well, however. But If you right click on a file name and select the Rename option, it will open the ascii up for renaming but still won’t let you type in a new name. But if you click on it again to close the rename option, it will then allow you to double click and save over it. It’s a bit persnickety but you can get it to work. You can also go to Explorer outside of Cantabile - when the UVI save window is hanging on Save/Cancel - and rename the file you are trying to save there. Sometimes you have to rename it and then rename it back to what it was, but then you can usually click the Save button and it will save and close the window. Yeah… a pain, but at least you don’t lose you work this way if you really want to work in the Cantabile playground. Ableton is my DAW and there’s no problem there fortunately, but I like to use Cantabile as a “work table” for creating presets.

1 Like

Yippee! The goods folks at UVI released an updated version of UVI Workstation that has everything working the way it should. So - that’s a wrap on this thread.

4 Likes

Good news, Falcon (and UVI Workstation) is coming…

Falcon - Changelog

• Fix Scala import in some case
  • Fix some crashes with Logic Pro in Rosetta Mode
  • Fix Windows issue with Filechooser dialog