Trigger and Binding questions

I don’t have any trouble with play/pause bindings and creating other basic bindings. But I’m a bit stumped on Triggers, and some more complex bindings I’m trying to create. So, a few specific questions…

1. Is it possible to make an expression pedal act like 2 switches for Song States? I.e. pressed down it advances to song state 2, up it goes back to state 1. I have an FCB1010 and can program the exp pedal to send a specific range of CC values, i.e. 63-65. I’ve tried all the options (edge triggered, not, etc.), no luck. But this same approach works great with changing amps on my main VSTi, S-Gear using CC 63-65, and if I can get it working on C3 it would be really handy for those songs where I only have 2 states.

2. With the FCB’s physical switches (which are momentary), how do I program a double tap for Play/Pause? And can I still make it a toggle…double tap for play, double tap for pause? Just to avoid an accidental tap. I know using a trigger and delay is the key, but I can’t get the delay to work. Here’s what I’ve got so far (in Background Rack) but it doesn’t require a double tap… just one tap starts Play.

3. When using tracks in the media players, how do you set a trigger for an action at a specific time on the track or timeline? For example, reverb suspend. I can successfully create a trigger at a certain point, but how do I know which “Plugin #” the specific reverb is? Which leads to my next question…

4. What are “Objects” under the Action column? And how do I work with them and edit the index #s? I’ve gathered that “Objects” are basically anything inlcuding plugs, racks, ports etc. But where can I find the index of the objects and their numbers? In other words, I want to control a reverb plug… which object # is it?
    Thanks!
    Tom

Hey twaw,

lots to answer here but here’s a go at it, hope it helps!

This rack does that. You route the CC11 pedal to it and it produces a CC64 or CC11 button switch for each direction which you can bind to your state changes. It will trigger when you pass a CC value of 64 each direction. Look inside at the routes if you want to see how it was rigged.

Expression to Switch.cantabileRack (29.9 KB)

To make double tap from a momentary you use a binding like this to covert the PG change message to a CC number and make it a toggle switch like below. This will require 2 taps of the PG change message to toggle the switch each way

Call up the timeline view so you can see the track, set the main transport to the media player you are using and then move the play cursor to the point you want the trigger cue. Then make a binding like this to set it using the current position button to speed things up …

in this example the trigger switches to the next song state

Any rack, plugin or media player is an object. When they are indexed it refers to the order they assume in the Object list of the routing page. So the top most plugin is index #1 and the next occurrence downward of a plugin becomes index #2 and so on down the list. The same ordering rules apply to the racks and media players.

Dave

Many Thanks as always, Dave! On the double tap, I haven’t actually tried that binding yet (and I will tonight) but I’m wondering what makes this binding a double tap? I thought the key to a double tap was a delay and a trigger, but don’t see any delay in there. It would seem that this binding is simply converting the PG to CC? So maybe the double tap is sort of a “side effect” of the PG to CC function? Or is it because it’s converting to a CC Switch as opposed to the other CC options like edge etc.?

I did get triggers working in the Timeline late last night, very cool. A VERY handy function for songs with backing tracks. And OK, now I get the Object/Indexing. Would be nice if each object was identified with the associated index # on the Routing screen, but that’s OK…I guess I’ll be doing a lot of counting!

Again, thanks!
Tom

Hey Tom,

Not sure , just tested till I got the result I wanted but it seems like the binding converts the PG message into a edge switch. Edge switches don’t make a 127-0 event from one press like a button switch instead producing only half of the button switch action with each press so first press makes the 127, second press makes the 0. That = 1 button switch (127-0) = one state change on the toggle switch that is the target. The toggle switch target needs the (127-0) again to change back to it’s other state so 2 more edge triggers are required. That’s my best explanation I can muster …

You could also organize them if possible into repeatable order if it would help, glad things are working out!

Dave

Interesting… makes sense. Can’t wait to check it out tonight. And yes, typically they will be in the same order since I used my template to build each song, but on some songs I had racks that weren’t needed so I deleted them… but yeah, that will get me close. Thanks!
Tom